Remote thermometers

jonboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have 2 thermometers. A weber style32908 and a maverick et71co.
My smoker is a short distance from the kitchen window. I have a problem with both thermometers.
The weber can handle the distance but has preprogrammed temp settings. It cannot be changed for different temp settings.
Is there a better weber?
The maverick(costco) will not trasmit a signal the distance. It does have the ability to shange the settings. Is there a way to increase the distance that it will send?
Is there a better maverick?
I am not familiar with the bbq quru or stoker units?
Would something like that be better for me?
Thanks for the help,
jonboy

I have the Meverick ET-73 which has 2 probes - one for the cooking temp & one for the meat temp. I've had it for about a year & I'm very happy with it.

I have heard the Digiq II being used on BGE's.
Can I use it on my GOSM??
What are the benefits??
Any help would be appreciated.

(didn't want to start another thread mod)

My smoker is over 100 foot from the house (Pronounced" Country"). There is a metal pole barn between. I am going to do a search for a better weber/scientific model.
One that is programable. Or a maverick with better range.
AnyOne have a similar problem/solution??

The digiq2 looks like a nice product. Im not sure that it is what i need with fans, blowers,etc. But it would be interesting to learn about it also.
jonboy

Yeah, I think that distance is going to be your problem. I've heard of some having trouble with the ET-73 at the longer distances that are still within range.

I'm in an apartment with a small backyard (approximately 15' x 20') so even if I took my remote out my front door I'm still well within 100'. If you're looking at over 100' I don't know if you're gonna find anything. Good luck there.

I have been looking at a oregon scientific aw131. IT looks like theweber unit.
My weber aw129 is rated for 100 ft.
The aw131 is rated for 330 ft and has a manual temp set mode.
I think that i will give it a try.
Im not sure if they are available locally, but newegg has them.
Has anyone used this unit?
It is a talking unit with 5 languages.
Around 40.00
The only problem i see with it is its red.

I don't recall what website I read this on but a lot of Mavericks have trouble with any distance. It seem the antenna is ether to short or missing altogether. You can take the back off and you should be able to see the antenna coil. According to the website you can stretch the line out, you may even have to add on to it and it should increase the distance a good bit. I seem to remember it said the line should be about 7 or 8 inches and you can just put the back back on with the line hanging out.

I have not had a problem with my E3 except when I first got it I used to keep it in a plastic box with a lid so it would not get rained on or to much hot sun. Also had it laying down and the directions say not to cover it and make sure it is upright for it to work properly.
Dave

I'm happy with my mav. 73. I like having 2 different readouts-1 for the pit and 1 for meat.
The nu-temp would be nice to piggyback more units on but I think there's enough wires already. Who am I kiddin' I'll probably have another by may.

What kind of range are you getting with the new temp?
I have taken the maverick apart. And have adjusted the
spring antenna. I am testing now to see if it makes a difference.
I dont like the spring hanging out. I will get it caught on something and break it. I wonder if you could attach an antenna like on a transister radio.
I cant really leave it inside because of the way it works. You have to turn both units on within a few seconds or they dont work.
The weber is different in this also. You can turn on the inside unit much later and it will find the signal.
jonboy

I know this may be a silly question but have you changed batters lately? I now when mine get low it really farks with them.
Dave

I picked up one at walmart for $16. It is better than the mavrick that broke. range is great. It looks like a beeper. can check the brand later. It passed the drop test. i was pruning trees while smoking. kept forgetting to take off the belt before climbing back up the ladder. Dropped 3x from about 15-20' and kept workign great. smoker on far side of the house, at least 100' away. just not sure if i could run two at the same time.

Anyone know if the new temp probes will work with the et-73? I need some new probes but don't want to pay the obnoxious amounts maverick wants for them.

I used the Maverick until I picked up a Nu Temp with 3 remotes. Much better range, I like them. One of the probes just died on me (170 in boiling water), but I guess that's expected over time. I haven't had a probe (yet) that didn't eventually need replacing.

Back