• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2013 Weber Jumbo Joe quality control issues...

i was thinking about buying a JJ when i'm in LA in april - just to use for the week and give it to my uncle when I leave.

this thread is making me reconsider (it's also making me sad)

I'm with you- and as I said my Joe will not be outside so I really have no worries about corrosion at the points brought up in the thread but the bar that Weber has set is very high for both design and quality. $60 isn't a big deal at all agreed.. however Weber product has always been above that "disposable" bar no? Porcelain loss on these grills especially the bowl is not what I've come to expect (or accept).

As an update to my grill- the replacement bowl came today and after some time adjusting the lid bale there is no stress on the porcelain with the steel washers attached. I also flattened the top vent a bit with a rubber mallet and the really helped the scraping issue, the contour of the vent better matches the flatter top of the Joe than the larger kettles they are stamped for?

I'll admit I've been spoiled by Weber's fit and finish, this grill out of the box didn't match previous quality.

Not be an Arse .Here But Its 60 bucks for a 18 portable charcaol grill ..In all seriousness what do you really expect ? its a" portable" not like the kettles we are used to .. In My world this is an item that can replicate to a degree the preformance most people are used to from a regular patio 22.5 .. In my world this would have a life of about 4-5 years and I would not blink twice ... My expectaions maybe lower but for its intended use and price point ...the complaints seem minor to the final product of the food it produces. Jm 2 pence.

Anyone know if these issues have been resolved? I want a portable kettle, but I've read a lot of complaints about jumbo joe quality which is surprising and disappointing.

I might get an old smokey instead. :crazy:

Swung by my ace hardware, their display lid or base was warped, the lid sticks to the grill. Also has the scratches from the lid holder wire.

We opened up a new one, the lid sticks. Didn't look at the lid holder issue.

They may have older stock, not sure, but am a little uncomfortable seeing these issues out of a weber. I didn't think to check the date code.

Swung by my ace hardware, their display lid or base was warped, the lid sticks to the grill. Also has the scratches from the lid holder wire.

We opened up a new one, the lid sticks. Didn't look at the lid holder issue.

They may have older stock, not sure, but am a little uncomfortable seeing these issues out of a weber. I didn't think to check the date code.
I'll check my date code if it has one. I got it on clearance this last Fall.

Back