• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoked butt on gas grill

M

mvk2604

Ive been lurking on this forum for a while, and wanted to smoke a butt
with my gas grill. Its ok not great and I want to move to a smoker of some type. I tried to insulate the cover with foil because of the cold this morning (15 degrees, Colorado weather but up to 40 later) to kind of minimize the heat loss and it worked too well. The top of the butts are cooking too fast. I am just going to flip them over soon.The problem now at the moment is how far from the flame should the smoker box be and how long should the chips last? Mine are only lasting for about and hour.

Thanks for any help.

Marty

Sounds like about the right amount of time for those chips.

Sounds like you may have to keep flipping. You also need to really know what the temp is inside that chamber. Good luck, maybe someone else can help you more than that.

mvk, before I got my present rig, I smoked on my Weber gas grill. I used a cast iron skillet that set right on the burners. I had to add wood every hour or 2. Just make sure you figure out a way to have easy access to your firebox.

I kept the fire as low as possible. Of course, it never gets down to 15 here.

heres how i used to do it.. Hopefuly you have at least 2 sides to that grill. left and right is ideal, front and back is ok. Crank the grill up and preheat it for 20 minutes, get temps up to 400. Put the smoke box on the either side, but the one where you WILL not put the butt. if you have lava rock or ceramic bricks, remove enough so you can put the smoke box directly on the grate and not on tope of rock or briquettes. You may have to replenish the chips every hour to 90 miutes dependion on the thickness of the box.

Now palce the butt on the other side and close the top The grates should be as high aas they can get and its even better if you can put the butt in a roast rack with a small tray under it with some beer in it. Clsoe the top and let the heat recover to about 300 degrees then turn down the side where the butt is to as low as it goes and the other side to meduim. Try to maintain 250 on the side with the butt. If temps get to high, shut that side down completely. Maintain temps witht he other side away from the meat. It is also helpful to put a large chunk of wood on a piece of foil right on top of the rocks or briquettes.

This is the the exact technigue I used for chickens and small beef roasts when i dont have time to fire up the smoker. It ain't traditional Q, but works pretty good. Although 250 is 250, stuff still cooks a littlel faster. I think its just that there is still somewhat direct heat hitting the roast..

good uck!! have fun!!

Temps in the chamber are 215 to 225 degrees. I have four burners and am using the left two. Butts are on the right. Drip pan under the butts and no water in it. Spraying with apple juice on the hour. Why put the butts up more in the air? Just to get it in the heat in the cover?

Marty

Butts on at 8:30 at 1:15 temp inside the two butts at 180 degrees.
wrapped in foil and in oven to finish. Now is this too fast to get to temp inside? I know the temp in the chamber did not get above 235 at any time so should my temps be a little lower to start? Or is it that my butt is
too close to the flame.( OH MAN!!) Because my grill may be smaller than
a horizontal chamber?

Marty

As a follow up the pulled pork turned out good. Not as much smoke as
I would have thought but the wife loved it. Next to experiment with an
injection of some spices. Still want a real smoker.....

Marty

Perfect your technique on gas, and then adjust/learn all over again. Are smokers available in your area? Talked to an Aunt in Littleton, and read a few stories that indicate that burning wood is almost a sin :roll:

Would that be Aunt Wanda from the woodpile thread? Hey, can we make her our official mascot?

parrothead said:
Would that be Aunt Wanda from the woodpile thread? Hey, can we make her our official mascot?

Closer than you ever want to know!!!! :lol:

4.5 hours is real fast to reach those temps with 250 degrees of convection heat.. i think you got a little bit of a direct heat/grilling effect. Thats why i like to use roasting tracks or put the roasts on the warming racks. it reduces the direct heat effect. The lack of smoke wa sfor the same reason, not enuf time in smoke. Butts usually go for about 90mins per lb.

As long as it was good.. it was a learning experience and nextr time jsut gets better. :)

mvk2604 said:

Marty

You got that right Marty. Get a real smoker. Gas has its place, but it is hard to beat a smoker. Maybe you should try a ECB, an El Cheapo Brinkman, at about $30 for your first one. Many of us did, and most of us still have theirs and still use it from time to time. You smoke a butt in one of those and your wife will really love it, and you too. :wink:

BigdogSmoker said:
mvk2604 said:

Marty

You got that right Marty. Get a real smoker. Gas has its place, but it is hard to beat a smoker. Maybe you should try a ECB, an El Cheapo Brinkman, at about $30 for your first one. Many of us did, and most of us still have theirs and still use it from time to time. You smoke a butt in one of those and your wife will really love it, and you too. :wink:
Big dog is right! Make a small investment in an ECB - That's what I started with many years ago, and it's hard to screw up a piece of meat if you know the basics. Your outside temps in Denver (plus your altitude) will effect the cooking process a bit - You'll probably have to use larger amount of fuel because the ECB's are made of thin metal. Your end product will be much more pleasurable than what you doing right now. It'll also give you the opportunity to perfect your technique, before moving up to an off-set.

Back