• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beer can chicken with WSM grill setup - with pron of course

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Decided to do a beer can chicken today on the WSM, but instead of the standard high heat method I use for briskets and chicken, decided to play around with the WSM set up for grilling. Why? I have no idea, just wanted to play around. This involved putting the charcoal grate and ring on the same tab where the waterpan usually goes, and then grilling on the top grate. I set up for offset by putting a foil pan in the middle of the charcoal ring.

The beer can: Since I was going to drink half the beer and I can't drink crappy beer, this is the best I could find in a can. It was actually very good, nice and malty with a decent amount of hops. I have no idea why it comes in a can.
IMG_001.jpg

The chicken: Used my every day kitchen sink rub. Just happend to have a perfectly sized old shallot lying around to plug the top of the chicken. Brushed with some EVOO before the rub.
IMG_0001.jpg

WSM fuel: I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Put in waaaay too much charcoal. Had a full chimney on top of this, and couldn't fit all the charcoal with the foil pan in there. Because of this, temps with through the freaking roof even with all vents shut down (over 450 at the start). Eventually it calmed down and ran stable at 325, but I never even opened the bottom vents. If I ever use this method again (which I probably wont), I'd just go with 1 chimney. Foil pan was to keep the direct heat off the chicken.
IMG_0006.jpg

My fuel: Any time I hear Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. claim to be a pilsner I throw up a little in my mouth. If you want to really taste what a pilsner should taste like, try a Victory Prima Pils. Awesome summer beer, and wifey had me putting up shelves in a 300 degree garage so these came in handy.
IMG_0013.jpg

Locked and loaded. Two good sized apple chunks for smoke.
IMG_0010.jpg

The finished product: Pulled at 180 degrees at the thigh.
IMG_0014.jpg

The verdict: Chicken was farking delicious. Even though I waited till the thighs hit 180, the breast was as juicy as you could get. Thighs and wings were mine, wifey got the legs, breasts are going towards smokey chicken salad.
Two things I would do different. First, scratch the grill setup. The standard high heat method with an empty waterpan covered in foil would have worked better. I have no problem climbing up to 325 plus with this setup. Still, it was fun to try something new. Second, I should have done two chickens. I have a dual chicken holder, but I was afraid I would have too much direct heat with two chickens. With a standard high heat setup, this wouldn't be a problem. That's all!

Back