• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cold Smoke UDS (Side of pork)

H

handsareme

I have some upcoming low temps at night of 15-22*.

I have a UDS and it is my only smoker.

I picked up a very, very small side of pork at an Asian market tonight. It is deemed experimental. It is uncured and unsmoked. I want to try my hand at smoking it and want to know if there is any advice from the Brethren.

I do not have the money to buy a Smoke Daddy, as I have seen recommended in other threads.

I have two Weber grates. I also have bolts installed in my UDS so I can have a grate just a few inches above the fire basket. I was thinking I could put a round pizza stone on that level on a rack as a heat diffuser.

What temperatures do I need to aim for, both in the UDS and in the pork (or is it time for the pork?). As you can see, I have never cold-smoked and hope I can get some advice from ya'll. Hoping to make some bacon.

I am almost tempted to do a test-run tonight (low of 15, already down to 22) to see what temps would be like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some upcoming low temps at night of 15-22*.

I have a UDS and it is my only smoker.

I picked up a very, very small side of pork at an Asian market tonight. It is deemed experimental. It is uncured and unsmoked. I want to try my hand at smoking it and want to know if there is any advice from the Brethren.

I do not have the money to buy a Smoke Daddy, as I have seen recommended in other threads.

I have two Weber grates. I also have bolts installed in my UDS so I can have a grate just a few inches above the fire basket. I was thinking I could put a round pizza stone on that level on a rack as a heat diffuser.

What temperatures do I need to aim for, both in the UDS and in the pork (or is it time for the pork?). As you can see, I have never cold-smoked and hope I can get some advice from ya'll. Hoping to make some bacon.

I am almost tempted to do a test-run tonight (low of 15, already down to 22) to see what temps would be like.

To make bacon as you suggested you will need to dry-cure the meat you wish to make bacon with.

For ham you can also dry-cure and inject, but I prefer to wet-cure and inject. I use apple cider in place of water in my wet-cure.

To simply cold smoke pork you will have only smoked pork.

To make bacon as you suggested you will need to dry-cure the meat you wish to make bacon with.

For ham you can also dry-cure and inject, but I prefer to wet-cure and inject. I use apple cider in place of water in my wet-cure.

To simply cold smoke pork you will have only smoked pork.
See the advice I need? And thanks for the info.

Back