• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Horizontal vs vertical

COS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Quick question even though it's too late. What the advantage and disadvantage of a vertical vs a horizontal. I sort of have a idea, must just want to make sure my thinking is inline with everybody else's. Oh it will be a offset.

One advantage of vertical is the footprint. If you have a small area to keep something, it's the best bang for the buck. I love my RF offset, although I have never cooked on a vertical.

One advantage of vertical is the footprint. If you have a small area to keep something, it's the best bang for the buck. I love my RF offset, although I have never cooked on a vertical.

^This. It is really hard to beat the cooking volume vs footprint of a vertical. I've built/cooked on quite a few (stickburners all) and really can't tell much difference in the quality of the Q. I don't have any imperical info but my sense is verticals, especially non-offset verticals need a much smaller fire and use much less fuel for a given cook. Should probably mention most of the verticals I've built/cooked on are thicker steel and/or insulated compared to the thin-wall cookers you see in most big box stores and that likely has a lot o do with how they perform.

Not only is the vertical a smaller foot print, but insulated verticals are extremely fuel efficient.

With my Humphrey's Down East Beast, an insulated vertical with reverse flow, I get a 12 - 14 hour burn with an 8 pound bag of lump charcoal while cooking 10 - 12 pork butts at 245 - 250. No more tending the fire every hour/couple hours. For me at my age, it was the best investment I have made to my hobby. I sleep all night long and the food is done about noon or one o'clock, pull and put in a cooler and dinner is always served on time.

This is what I'm thinking. Small footprint but a lot of cooking space. This will be a offset vertical so it will be a stick burner.

I like both on the same offset lol Horizontal offset with Vertical Chamber all the smoke and heat runs through before leaving the smoker..

Verticals usually save some space as others have said, also, they draft vertically obviously. They also typically have one door, opening it could stoke your fire up some or drop heat temporarily, just be in and out fast. Also they drip on one another and possibly straight on your fire (can be good and bad). Also less fuel management for insulated.

Horizontals can be temp stable, you can also make hot spots, which can be used advantageously. Also, they draft horizontal and stronger IMO. Opening a door, to me, has less effect on the fire. Some have 2 doors which can hold heat while you open up. Usually meat is also accessible without having to slide shelves out like a vertical is sometimes. They also feel less cramped. You have to feed them though...

It all depends on exact pit to pit comparisons really...

Last edited:
i like verticals

But that is all I have used. I have a stick burning vertical cabinet that is sort of over and under style. I like the Q that comes off of it, although mine is set up weird. Looking at the two designs, IMnotalwaysHO, a vertical sets you up for the optimal smoke flavor as there is not a way for the smoke to go around all the meat without touching it first, where in a horizontal IMnotalwayssmartHO :noidea:, there is a chance for smoke to bypass the meat at the top of the chamber. However realistic my idea is, you will have fun learning your new offset and learning to make Q that is fantastic.

I have an LSG vertical offset and love it. I bet an horizontal cooker, other things being equal, would cook just as well.

There are just all kinds of great BBQ put out by all you guys on this site. And it ain't just the cooker! :eusa_clap

I had a Bandera vertical offset. As others have said they make very efficient use of space, both footprint and cooking space. I now have an Old Country Brazos horizontal off. It's a 1/4 steel and overall better quality but of course was way more expensive. I get better quality BBQ with the Brazos and the temp variation side to side is very good. Probably due to the fact that the draft/convection is very good. They both are very good but if I had the space I would get another horizontal offset.

Doesn't have to be an offset to be a BadAzz Vertical Stick Burner........

Smitty, where'd you come up with your first two verticals in the picture? I have been looking for a while at verticals designed for burning all wood and only found one place in TX that makes them. Another that I like said there's wasn't really designed for all wood but coal/chunk combos. I have been under the impression that good verticals aren't made for wood. I also saw Mixons H2O cookers, which will do wood but not interested in the price. What you have looks interesting

The first one is a thin junker from Craigslist. The 2nd is a BadAzz Old Country Smokehouse available at Academy. Single wall non insulated stick burner. Boathouse Smokers in Louisianna Look Good also.

If you ever want to cook a whole hog, it's harder to do on a vertical. And sausages don't hang well on a horizontal.
I've also learned from experience that some verticals may not be able to cook at higher temps because they burn the drippings and fill the cabinet with grease smoke.

Back