How many pork butts can you get on a Kamado Joe Classic?

msweig

Reaction score
I'm throwing a party this weekend and I'm trying to figure out how many pork butts I can get on my Kamado Joe. I typically buy the 2 pack of butts from Costco, and they run about 15 pounds, so we are talking a 7-8 lb. boneless butt. Just looking at the size of the grate I think I can easily get 2 on there. Maybe three (which would be more comfortable for the number of people we have coming to the party). Anyone have any experience with this?

Another option would be to have another grate higher than the stock one. But I think the commercial one kamado joe puts out is only 4" higher, which doesn't strike me as enough room for a butt underneath. If I can get 4 butts on that would be awesome (leftovers!), but not sure how viable that is.

And I'm assuming if I do these larger quantities rotating them every once in awhile would be good (to get away from the hotter edges).

Thoughts?

The KJ raised grate is definitely more then 4" in height. With that extender, I'd say 4 butts should be no problem on a Classic.

Just checked one out in a store. Only 4 inches, so I think that is too tight. I'll just see what I can get on tomorrow after I buy the butts.

Back