Rec Tec

roadhawg

Found some matches.
Reaction score
This may have been discussed before on here but I can't find it. Has anybody used a REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill and if so how do you like it? Thanks !!!

While I no longer own one, I did for almost 2 years. Put out excellent food. My issue was the unpredictability of when it might not work. Moving parts and electronics break. Customer service was excellent the few times it did not work.

Nothing but praise for the guys at Rec Tec. Great service and a great machine. A few things about the cooker that bug me:

1. Grates don't fit snugly. You need to add a bar or something else to fill the gap to reduce the amount of play by the grates.

2. Mechanics and electronics just don't do well with heat, time, and moisture. Fried my temp sensor because a wrap leaked. Company was quick to fix it but it never left my memory. More of a general issue with pellet cookers than with the RT in particular.

3. Looks grew old on me. Too corny after a couple years. Like buying a yellow car, I guess...

4. The cooker is top heavy. Especially so with pellets in the hopper. Careful when turning it while rolling. Mine very nearly crushed me on day 1 navigating it to its spot on my grill area.

5. Don't even bother with direct heat applications without grill grates. Even then, a gasser will serve you better. Again, more of a thing against all pellet grills and not unique to the RT.

Lots of bang for your buck with the RT. Great tool to work with so you can focus on food prep rather than fire management. It is a quality cooker with lots of thought put into it. I would recommend it to anyone looking at pellet grills.

I donated mine to a close friend because his kids were getting into smoking and I needed room for one of my heavy cookers. I miss it sometimes, but I prefer knowing it is getting used regularly.

I'm actually going to be placing an order today for a 680. My neighbor has had one for years so I'm familiar with his experience and I've cooked on it multiple times. Hell, we did a brisket in Northern MN in January and it held the temp at 225 while it was -40 overnight!

From my research, customer service and warranty are second to none. 6 year warranty and personal experience is why I'm choosing them over GMG. And now the lids are Ceramic coated as opposed to powder coat.

Just my 2 cents.

Todd

I like mine

Had one for a year and have gone through 6oo# of pellets so far. Had to reset the electronics when I first got it but that took one phone call and had it done in a few minutes.
Mike

I've had mine for about four years now and have been happy with it. There are other pellet grills out there that didn't exist when I purchased it but I still think it's one of the best "bang for the buck" options out there. I'll probably pick up minis for my daughters when they get houses (one this summer, one probably the next)

Rectec's service is the best I've ever experienced in any industry.

Back