Did Some Pastrami

OSD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thawed a 4.10 pound corned beef brisket flat that I had in the freezer. Rinsed it a couple times.
I hate that big slice in it that I couldn't see in the package.:tsk:
pfr_001%20Custom.jpg

I put a light coat of Safflower oil on it. Then covered it with a spice mix.
I'll wrap it and let it set in the frig overnight. I'll put it in the smoker the next day.
pfr_002%20Custom.jpg

Light re-coating of spice mix and into the drum at 8:00 A.M.
Trying for the first time Royal Oak Chef's Select briquettes and pecan chunks
Going to cook at around 250°
pfr_003%20Custom.jpg

11:30 A.M. meat was at 155° internal temp.
pfr_004%20Custom.jpg

Double foiled and back into drum til it gets to 180° internal temp
pfr_005%20Custom.jpg

Took foiled pastrami out of the drum at 12:55 P.M. @ 182° internal temp.
I'll let it rest and cool down enough on the counter, then it will go into the frig to cool down and rest til tomorrow.

After a night's rest in the frig. I'm anxious to see the results.
Looks and smells good so for
pfr_006%20Custom.jpg

Cut open for a look and a small taste....Oh Yea
pfr_007%20Custom.jpg

This will be made into some Reubens later.

Thanks for lookin'

OSD, ............. what kind of spice mix does one use for pastrami?

Good job! I gotta try this .....................

Whenever I make corned beef brisket (traditionally made, for me is on the bland tasting side) I always cook it the traditional way (boiling), but then take it out of the water, butter it up, and put a generous portion of Paul Prudholmes Blacken Steak Magic on it and blacken it for a few minutes. Very easy to do and has that pastrami taste.

• Thanks
Reactions: OSD
Jim that looks wonderful! I'm a huge pastrami fan, yours looks absolutely delicious!!

• Thanks
Thanks.
Making your own Pastrami is easy and you can adjust the flavor profile to suit your own taste.
JMHO-YMMV

OSD, ............. what kind of spice mix does one use for pastrami?

Good job! I gotta try this .....................

Whenever I make corned beef brisket (traditionally made, for me is on the bland tasting side) I always cook it the traditional way (boiling), but then take it out of the water, butter it up, and put a generous portion of Paul Prudholmes Blacken Steak Magic on it and blacken it for a few minutes. Very easy to do and has that pastrami taste.

There are many different spice mixes used for Pastrami. This is one that I tweaked to suit our taste.

For a 4-5 pound corned beef brisket flat I use...

5 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper

3 tablespoons coriander powder

1 teaspoon chipotle pepper

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1 teaspoon dark brown sugar

2 teaspoons Turbino sugar

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 tablespoons Safflower cooking oil

This gives me enough to do the main coating and some for the next day before I put it in the smoker.
Change it up to suit your taste. This has a little kick to it with the peppers and the mustard.

You made it look easy but is it really?

Yes, it really is easy.
Most people think it's a deep, dark secret that is hard to learn to do. I think deli's keep that secret going so people won't be doing them on their own at a lot of $$ less than what they charge.
Like I said the best part is being able to develop your own flavor profile that suits your taste.

Yes, it really is easy.
Most people think it's a deep, dark secret that is hard to learn to do. I think deli's keep that secret going so people won't be doing them on their own at a lot of $$ less than what they charge.
Like I said the best part is being able to develop your own flavor profile that suits your taste.
I love pastrami so now it is definitely on the list of things to do now.

Saw you bought a pre-corned. How was the salt content in the finished product? Have you ever taken it above 180 and gotten the crumbly pastrami texture? Sounds great for some hash...

• Thanks
Saw you bought a pre-corned. How was the salt content in the finished product? Have you ever taken it above 180 and gotten the crumbly pastrami texture? Sounds great for some hash...

Salt content and taste were fine. As I said in the first part of the post all you have to do is rinse it off a couple times in cold water and that will remove the excess salt that the packing solution leaves on the meat.
No, I have not taken them above the 180° range.
I have made hash from corned beef but not pastrami.

Back