Newbie grill maker

josephny

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -- my first post here.

As much as I've loved the Weber kettles for decades, I wanted something bigger and more solid.

So, instead of finding this forum and getting help before construction, I (stupidly) went ahead and built a grill.

I poured a 8'x6'x8" concrete pad; used cinderblocks to form 3 walls, sink 2"x2" angle iron through the dirt and concrete and welded brackets at 3 height levels for a spit.

I mounted brackets just below the top to hold the expanded metal grill grate.

I wasn't sure how high (or how, exactly) to mount the fuel shelf (charcoal, wood), so it's sitting on blocks now.

I tried it and what I found is that the fire is too hot and it burning the food. It's also super hot to stand in front of the grill.

I tried removing 1 layer of blocks, moving the fuel shelf down from about 6" to 14" below the grate. That solved the burning problem.

So, I sure could use some help with finishing the design or redesigning it.

My goal is to be able to spit roast, sear/quick grill steaks and kebobs, as well as slower cook chicken and thick burgers.

Do I need to somehow be able to raise and lower the fuel shelf?

Do I need a cover?

What should I do?

Thank you!

Joe

IMG_6951_zpscgmewhpr.jpg

Forgot to include before clicking POST. It's there now. Thanks!

Is your goal to just have a grill with this thing? What I would do is build a brick smoker and make it so the firebox portion could also be used as a grill. Google brick smoker.

Is your goal to just have a grill with this thing? What I would do is build a brick smoker and make it so the firebox portion could also be used as a grill. Google brick smoker.

Googled it and I now understand.

It looks like a great addition, but I've got an outlaw that I use for smoking and I'm trying to get this new grill working well for grilling steaks, chicken, kebobs, etc.

I think I would make 2 smaller charcoal grates. Then personally I would add steel channels on each side and in the middle and add tracks about 10 inches apart from top to bottom so that the new grates can slide into them and then you can choose what level you need to use. Kind of like the way a vertical smoker has tracks for grates. Also that will give you the option of a 2 zone fire. I hope I explained it properly.

I think I would make 2 smaller charcoal grates. Then personally I would add steel channels on each side and in the middle and add tracks about 10 inches apart from top to bottom so that the new grates can slide into them and then you can choose what level you need to use. Kind of like the way a vertical smoker has tracks for grates. Also that will give you the option of a 2 zone fire. I hope I explained it properly.

I like that a lot!

Can you recommend tracks and channels?

Also, I'd rather not put a wall in the middle (where I now have the pile of cinderblocks) if possible. How can I do that?

Thank you!

Nice workman ship. I bet it cooks pretty good too.

That's very kind of you.

It's my first attempt at masonry, and I'm a complete newbie at welding, so I'm certain an expert would cringe seeing it up close.

Good suggestions above. That's a outer banks oyster roaster; before I changed much I'd get a chunk of 1/4" flat iron put on the cooking grate over the fire and get me a bunch of oysters/clams/mussels, cover with wet burlap sack and roast/steam until they open. YUM!

Ok, this is just something mind old brain thought of. You would want the ability to raise or lower your coal grate to vary the heat. A better design would be to raise or lower the cooking grate like a Santa Maria Pit. Might be a little late for that.

Look at the picture again. As mentioned above, make two coal grates a little smaller than half size. Cut them and frame them in smaller angle iron. Then, using the larger angle iron, box in (really a cube) the area under the cooking grate, and then use more angle iron to create your tracks for the coal grates. Kinda make it look like two ovens sitting side by side.

That probably doesn't make any sense... :mrgreen:

let me ponder and see what I can come up with that might work for what you are looking for.

I wonder if I can make a pulley system with wire rope (aircraft) cable whereby I spin a knob (connected to a shaft) at the front of the grill just below the cooking grate and it raises or lowers the charcoal grate?

Anyone have any idea how to do this?

Thanks!

That would be similar to a santa maria style grill. It can be done but not sure you can do both sides at the same time unless there is a bar across the top that connects them together. Or you would have to have one on each side. something like this.

yes like that only you are moving the charcoal grate and not the cooking grate, unless you want to re do it to move the cooking grate.

The one I had we used a boat winch, and 1/8" steel cable and pulleys we got from a local hardware store along with the steel pipe and angle iron that we needed.

Back