• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Air Intake

BradM584

Reaction score
I have some big plans to build a UDS so I can smoke as soon as the snow melts (which may not happen this year). So here's the question: I have seen plans and discussions on the air intake at the bottom. Some have the ball-valve coming straight out of the smoker keeping it low and on the bottom. Others run it up the side of the smoker using a pipe. Why? Does it make a difference to run it vertical up the side?

Mostly the reason for the vertical pipe is either so you don't have to bend over or cosmetic. I'm finishing mine right now and I have 4-3/4" intakes and only two ball valves that come out straight. But I'm just gonna be 30 so it's no problem for me.

Welcome to the forum btw

I have 2 normal intakes and 1 vertical ball valve.

I like the vertical as an insurance against wind gusts. THe wind might get one or two intakes, but not all three.

I use a single 2 inch ball valve down low.

The vertical is to keep from bending over. Have not touched my intake setting in 6 months. If it needs it, I'll just bend over once.

"Mostly the reason for the vertical pipe is either so you don't have to bend over or cosmetic"

This ^^^^^^^^:thumb:

Plenty of threads on this. Use the search bar at bottom. However, I beg to differ that an updraft tube is purely for cosmetics/ convinience. Greatly helps against high winds affecting temps IMO.

Also agree with smitty- smoking's a year round thing around here, ESP with a set and forget cooker like a uds.

On both of my drums I have drilled holes and just use magnets. I have to bend dowd to adjust, but if you make this thing too easy everyone will wnat to do it. The magnets work great and are a heck of a lot cheaper than those ball valves, easier to.

i have 3 x 1" intakes. i control them with fridge magents and works just fine.

have all 3 open while the cooker gets up to temp. then usually run it with 1.5 open holes and it holds around 275.

Cosmetics and apparently a small amount of wind protection. Downfall is that you restrict your intake with the 90 and extra length of pipe. You also reduce your intake draft by reducing the pressure difference between the exhaust and intake. If you do build a vertical intake I suggest using the next size up in piping. Most people do 3/4" intakes so I would make the vertical section 1" piping instead.

I use my foot to open/close/adjust the single sliding draft door at the bottom of my UDS. No protruding parts.

I just built mine with four Âľ" intakes I have two down low and built two vertical all with ball valves seems to be holding temp for me for now

I use 2) 1 1/2 inch 90's with extensions ( HD only had 2) 6 inch and 2) 8 inch) that I welded together, then magnets on top of those. I use mine year round and yes wind can/does affect a straight opening vs an extension. Also I want to keep the openings above the snow. I also can get mine over 700 degrees when required for pizza's etc.

Hi All.....I`m a complete novice but have just made my 1st uds. They are unheard of over hear in England and I found out about them by searching for ways to smoke. Anyway, I have been wondering about ambient temperatures and if they would affect the internal cooking temps, and after seeing comments above regarding snow etc wondered if you guys would know. I live in cold / wet Manchester where ambient is usually quite low. Also without a Guru / fan, do I need a windy day ? Thanks in advance..Dan.

My first UDS had regular 3/4 horizontals. I just built a new one a month or so ago and I put 2 24" uprights (1") with 2 ball valves. I also put a 3/4 cap intake on the backside so I can uncap it if I want extra air.

I can hold 300+ temps easily without the 3/4 cap off. 1 ball valve wide open can keep me around 225-250. And screw waiting for the weather to warm up man!!!!! Get your arse to building and cooking! I was smoking butts on super bowl sunday here and it was 5 degrees in the morning! :-D

Well Dan, when it was single digits and 30 MPH winds I was only able to get 650 degrees when cooking pizza's. There is more than one brethren who smokes year round in Alaska and down to -45 degrees supporting our troops without a problem. So I think you should be O.K. And we don't use any controller's, just us.
I say build it and they will come... :clap2:

Hi All.....I`m a complete novice but have just made my 1st uds. They are unheard of over hear in England and I found out about them by searching for ways to smoke. Anyway, I have been wondering about ambient temperatures and if they would affect the internal cooking temps, and after seeing comments above regarding snow etc wondered if you guys would know. I live in cold / wet Manchester where ambient is usually quite low. Also without a Guru / fan, do I need a windy day ? Thanks in advance..Dan.

Dan did you see the reflectix sleeve i made for my smokers and my UDS? Wind is a non issue...guaranteed

Back