Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

I'm using a small white Igloo cooler, it's either 20 or 25 quart. I notched the lid to accommodate the circulator and also notched the top of the back wall at the corner to allow it to sit a little lower in the cooler. I sealed the cut edge of the wall notch with epoxy to keep the insulation from chipping out or getting waterlogged.

I'm using a small white Igloo cooler, it's either 20 or 25 quart. I notched the lid to accommodate the circulator and also notched the top of the back wall at the corner to allow it to sit a little lower in the cooler. I sealed the cut edge of the wall notch with epoxy to keep the insulation from chipping out or getting waterlogged.

One of these days I am going to do this. I have an older cooler that is a good size.

One of these days I am going to do this. I have an older cooler that is a good size.

I think that if you are using an insulated cooler you can kind of push the limits on "capacity" as to what volume of water the cookers are rated for because once they are at temp the circulator doesn't have to work too hard to maintain temp.

I think that if you are using an insulated cooler you can kind of push the limits on "capacity" as to what volume of water the cookers are rated for because once they are at temp the circulator doesn't have to work too hard to maintain temp.

Makes sense. That was one of my concerns about going to a larger container.

I was reading some of the comments above in this thread about the newer models vs the old, whether the wifi/blue tooth was much help etc. A couple of things to note, the original Anova circulator has a 1000 w heater, the newer precision cookers are 800 w. Also the pump on the original is listed as being rated at 12 liters per minute (3.12 gallons) whereas the new one is listed at 8 liters per minute. Now the Precision Cooker Pro, which list for $399 is rated for 7 gallons a minute, and if you get the 220v model the heater is 2000w

I saw some comments earlier in this thread about placing the tank on top of a corian or stone counter, and why this may not be a good idea. I didn't see a reply, so here's what I think is the concern:

It's probably more to do with the counter acting as a heat sink than damage to the counter-- it makes the heater work much harder when it is trying to heat up the counter. If you have ever set a frozen steak on a stone counter top you have seen it defrost very quickly because the steak is sucking the heat out of the counter by conduction. A towel under the tank can probably solve this problem. I use a sous vide supreme so I haven't dealt with this question.

I have been stumped for an answer to this one:

When I add any fat ( butter, etc.) to the bag, I believe it inhibits the spices and herbs from being absorbed by the meat. Water seems to allow marination to a much greater degree. This makes sense since most spices are water soluble, but I don't have enough trials to prove it.

I haven't been posting much in this thread, but here was tonights dinner.

Grass Fed Strip Loin steaks. Johnny's Jamaica me Crazy Seasoned salt, some butter and bacon fat.

IMG_1291.jpg

Tubbed for 3.5 hours at 131* then seared in a cast iron pan.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

These turned out great, not fantastic, but better than any of the others that I have grilled.

I got a whole strip loin, it had a lot of hard gristle that I had trimmed off and tied them into medallions.

Will do the rest in the hot tub from now on. This is about as Paleo as I'm getting.

I'm loving my Sous Vide cooker but understand, like all cookers, it has its strengths and weaknesses. Still trying to work out the limits. Having a lot of fun figuring it out.....

Sous Vide Homebrew

Temperature control is a big deal when homebrewing. I was doing an extract kit today which had some grains to steep. I thought, what better way to control water temp than the sous vide?

brewsousvide_zpsugixqq57.jpg

Starting to think about how to do this with a full mash.

Last edited:
A friend text some pictures to me on Saturday of some steaks he cooked with his new sous vide cooker. Of course that made me want to play with mine so Saturday night I pulled out a piece of top sirloin and cooked it up to a perfect medium rare.

You really can get flawless steak every time with sous vide. This morning I got up thinking about other things I could cook sous vide and wanted to try something I hadn't done before.
I picked up some boneless/skinless chicken breast and butterflied them.
file.php

I seasoned well with salt, pepper and thyme and layered with prosciutto.
file.php

I rolled the chicken and prosciutto and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap
file.php

I put the rolls in the fridge to firm up for a few hours to firm up in shape. While they were chilling a tended to other things. I went to the garden to pick basil for a pesto. While in the garden I noticed that the tomato plants that are left over from my spring garden have some small green tomatoes on them. I know they won't have a chance to ripen so I picked a few and thought about how to work them into my plan.
The basil went in the processor
file.php

I added olive oil, Parmesan, garlic and substituted pecans for pine nuts, a little salt and a splash of lemon.
file.php

I prepped some leaks for braising, cutting away the tough green part of the leaves
file.php

I split the leaks length wise, rinsed them very well. Then I buttered them and put them in a pyrex with some white wine and chicken stock, added salt and pepper and put in the oven to braise.

Next I prepped my dessert of poached pears. I peeled my pears and cut about a half inch off of the bottom to give them a flat base to stand on. I put 2 cups red wine, a little over 1/4 cup of sugar, a couple of cloves, a cinnamon stick, 1/2 cup orange juice and some zest in a 4qt sauce pan. I brought the mixture to a boil, then simmered it for 5 minutes. I added the pears on their sides and poached covered for about 20 minutes turning every 5 so they would cook all the way around. Once they were poached I let them cool in the pot for a half hour then moved the whole pot to the fridge for 3 hours. When ready to serve, remove pears from pot and plate, return pot to heat over med/hi heat and reduce sauce by half, spoon sauce over pears.

I chilled for a while, then an hour and a half before I wanted to serve, I got my water bath heated up to 143
file.php

I vacuum bagged each chicken roll individually over the plastic wrap and put it in the water bath for an hour and a half.

While the chicken cooked I took some chicken livers and very gently sauteed them in butter and white wine, then sliced them and set aside.
file.php

Next I prepped my sauce, a white wine cream sauce with porcini mushrooms, reduce about 1/3 cup of white wine and 1 tbs red wine vinegar in a sauce pan with some minced garlic, when it's reduced just about to a syrup add cream and re constituted dried porcini mushrooms, reduce and season to taste. I also got water boiling for some pasta.
file.php

Just before I was ready to pull the chicken I sliced the green tomatoes and cut some red and yellow bell peppers. I toss them in olive oil and salt along with some tri color cherry tomatoes and char them in a grilling basked over the 20000 BTu Burner on my propane stove outside

file.php

I pulled the chicken and unwrapped the rolls
file.php

I sliced the rolls and was pleased. The chicken was full cooked but still very moist and tender
file.php

To plate, first the salad. Spring mix tossed with slices of my poor mans foi gras, topped with shaved parm and a homemade vinaigrette that I make with 20 year old balsamic vinegar.
file.php

Then to plate the chicken I spoon cream sauce on the plate, I then make a base with charred slices of green tomatoe, stack the chicken rounds on it, top with charred peppers and cherry tomatoes, then drizzle with a little more porcini cream sauce
file.php

Pasta with pesto and braised leaks are on the side
file.php

And of course, dessert
file.php

Next time I will use a little more prociutto and I will probably cook at a couple degrees lower temp. Overall though it rocked, the chicken has a tender, buttery texture that I've never really experienced before and it's very good

Had a steak cook off with my dad this past summer and our family/friends were judges. He used the Sous Vide method and I used a 22 WSM. I just edged him out by 1 vote and it was only his first time using the machine! Super impressed with how this method cooks a steak.

Heads up fellas,

Picked up a Anova Wifi a couple days ago and just now the Anova Ones went on sale again today for $99 while supplies last. Picked up two A1's to give as gifts. Wifi's don't seem to be on sale thought but still a great price on the other two.

Anova Sous Vide machines

$100 off Anova One -- Final cost $99

$50 off Anova PC's for -- Final cost $129

http://anovaculinary.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAj8uyBRDawI3XhYqOy4gBEiQAl8BJbe4MpwqA5FLyc3YJcq-QgbEUrP28VPF7gWNTpdU7RSEaAihX8P8HAQ

Great deal. I've got the Anova One and it's a great unit.

A friend text some pictures to me on Saturday of some steaks he cooked with his new sous vide cooker. Of course that made me want to play with mine so Saturday night I pulled out a piece of top sirloin and cooked it up to a perfect medium rare.

You really can get flawless steak every time with sous vide. This morning I got up thinking about other things I could cook sous vide and wanted to try something I hadn't done before.
file.php

file.php

file.php

I put the rolls in the fridge to firm up for a few hours to firm up in shape. While they were chilling a tended to other things. I went to the garden to pick basil for a pesto. While in the garden I noticed that the tomato plants that are left over from my spring garden have some small green tomatoes on them. I know they won't have a chance to ripen so I picked a few and thought about how to work them into my plan.
file.php

I added olive oil, Parmesan, garlic and substituted pecans for pine nuts, a little salt and a splash of lemon.
file.php

I prepped some leaks for braising, cutting away the tough green part of the leaves
file.php

I split the leaks length wise, rinsed them very well. Then I buttered them and put them in a pyrex with some white wine and chicken stock, added salt and pepper and put in the oven to braise.

Next I prepped my dessert of poached pears. I peeled my pears and cut about a half inch off of the bottom to give them a flat base to stand on. I put 2 cups red wine, a little over 1/4 cup of sugar, a couple of cloves, a cinnamon stick, 1/2 cup orange juice and some zest in a 4qt sauce pan. I brought the mixture to a boil, then simmered it for 5 minutes. I added the pears on their sides and poached covered for about 20 minutes turning every 5 so they would cook all the way around. Once they were poached I let them cool in the pot for a half hour then moved the whole pot to the fridge for 3 hours. When ready to serve, remove pears from pot and plate, return pot to heat over med/hi heat and reduce sauce by half, spoon sauce over pears.

I chilled for a while, then an hour and a half before I wanted to serve, I got my water bath heated up to 143
file.php

I vacuum bagged each chicken roll individually over the plastic wrap and put it in the water bath for an hour and a half.

While the chicken cooked I took some chicken livers and very gently sauteed them in butter and white wine, then sliced them and set aside.
file.php

Next I prepped my sauce, a white wine cream sauce with porcini mushrooms, reduce about 1/3 cup of white wine and 1 tbs red wine vinegar in a sauce pan with some minced garlic, when it's reduced just about to a syrup add cream and re constituted dried porcini mushrooms, reduce and season to taste. I also got water boiling for some pasta.
file.php

Just before I was ready to pull the chicken I sliced the green tomatoes and cut some red and yellow bell peppers. I toss them in olive oil and salt along with some tri color cherry tomatoes and char them in a grilling basked over the 20000 BTu Burner on my propane stove outside

file.php

file.php

I sliced the rolls and was pleased. The chicken was full cooked but still very moist and tender
file.php

To plate, first the salad. Spring mix tossed with slices of my poor mans foi gras, topped with shaved parm and a homemade vinaigrette that I make with 20 year old balsamic vinegar.
file.php

Then to plate the chicken I spoon cream sauce on the plate, I then make a base with charred slices of green tomatoe, stack the chicken rounds on it, top with charred peppers and cherry tomatoes, then drizzle with a little more porcini cream sauce
file.php

file.php

And of course, dessert
file.php

Next time I will use a little more prociutto and I will probably cook at a couple degrees lower temp. Overall though it rocked, the chicken has a tender, buttery texture that I've never really experienced before and it's very good
Red, that is one extremely impressive production. Food looks traffic, and the plating outstanding.
Love it.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

And of course, dessert
file.php

Just awesome.

Heads up fellas,

Picked up a Anova Wifi a couple days ago and just now the Anova Ones went on sale again today for $99 while supplies last. Picked up two A1's to give as gifts. Wifi's don't seem to be on sale thought but still a great price on the other two.

Anova Sous Vide machines

$100 off Anova One -- Final cost $99

$50 off Anova PC's for -- Final cost $129

http://anovaculinary.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAj8uyBRDawI3XhYqOy4gBEiQAl8BJbe4MpwqA5FLyc3YJcq-QgbEUrP28VPF7gWNTpdU7RSEaAihX8P8HAQ

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered.

I ordered one as well. I bought one back when they first came out but I didn't have much luck. I got frustrated and sent it back. I'm going to give it another try.

Back