Chicken wings Silver lake practice w/small pron!

D

Derek

Prepped the smoker.
914330245_2nuJC-X3.jpg

Removed the hairs, fat and such. Added my house Rub!
914330003_RY2vN-X3.jpg

Made a new comp sauce, tried it with a spritz of honey and makers mark and the combo was to die for.
914330127_kVMBx-X3.jpg

It was in the low 70's.
the grate temp was 280 for 45 minutes.

It was completely cooked in 45 minutes, And it was not rubbery or undercooked.

Great looking wings Derek!
Thank you Bubba,

I've been really really practicing hard for this comp in September.

I can't wait for Bubba, who didn't get any to try them as well.

I owe him some!

Thank you Big_Al

Here's my plan of an attack for Silver lake Michigan.

Going to be bringing 2 bags of wings, 4 baby back racks.

1 rack for the folks, 1 rack for people to and 2 racks for the turn in box ,although only 6 ribs will fit in the turn in box only.

I'm going to use Dark dark lettuce for the garnish!

Nice wings! I like mine hot but the honey sounds pretty darn good.

Doin' the Siilver Lake Apple and BBQ fest huh? We went to it last year as spectators and had a great time. A buddy and me are thinking about competing in it this year, still not sure though. At the very least I'm sure we'll go check it out. Good luck!

Nice wings! I like mine hot but the honey sounds pretty darn good.

Doin' the Siilver Lake Apple and BBQ fest huh? We went to it last year as spectators and had a great time. A buddy and me are thinking about competing in it this year, still not sure though. At the very least I'm sure we'll go check it out. Good luck!
I am, and I'm going to be helping Jeff out on Saturday as well.

My folks wants to see the antique car show on Saturday!

Thank you Big_Al

Here's my plan of an attack for Silver lake Michigan.

Going to be bringing 2 bags of wings, 4 baby back racks.

1 rack for the folks, 1 rack for people to and 2 racks for the turn in box ,although only 6 ribs will fit in the turn in box only.

I'm going to use Dark dark lettuce for the garnish!

Don't forget why you're there. Cook all four racks for turn in. People and the folks (who aren't people? :) ) can eat the competition leftovers.

BTW, you should look at as many turn in box pictures between now and the comp as you can find. It is very easy to fit more than 6 ribs in a box, and, done right, can help with the appearance scores.

Don't forget why you're there. Cook all four racks for turn in. People and the folks (who aren't people? :) ) can eat the competition leftovers.

BTW, you should look at as many turn in box pictures between now and the comp as you can find. It is very easy to fit more than 6 ribs in a box, and, done right, can help with the appearance scores.
Thank you very much Ron,

I'll go and take a look at the turn in box.

So should I bring 2 bags for the wings?

I agree with Ron, I would cook all four racks and then use the best looking ones for presentation and turn-in. I think the best boxes have 6 or more identically sized ribs.

So should I bring 2 bags for the wings?

How many wings in a bag? Wings don't come in bags around here. They are in flats like the other chicken pieces.

How many wings do you have to turn in? I've never taken part in a wing competition. How ever many that you have to turn in, I'd cook two or three times that many so you have enough to choose from.

How many wings in a bag? Wings don't come in bags around here. They are in flats like the other chicken pieces.

How many wings do you have to turn in? I've never taken part in a wing competition. How ever many that you have to turn in, I'd cook two or three times that many so you have enough to choose from.
I'm not exactly sure how many wings comes in a bag, I'm guessing about 30 +

I'm not sure how many I need to turn in for the wing contest, I will ask Jeff about a month before I go.

Hes the gentleman who is running the show. and he should be able to tell me.

Well my smoker will have 6 Rack of ribs cooking on 2 grates, and I will be using my smokey joe silver for the wings, Hopefully That's going to cook 3 batches!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Back