What class?

EngineeredBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
There will be many opinions on this...... If money and location doesn't matter, who puts on the best competition class that I should go to? Not looking for best bang for the buck, just looking for the best.

I am doing pretty good for a rookie, lots of calls and 4 top tens in 6 kcbs contests this year, (I got my feet wet with 2 comps at the end of last year) so I would say I don't necessarily need to do a bbq101 type class. I have done a local chicken and rib class and it is no coincidence that those are my 2 best categories.

Before answering your question, it's my opinion that the value in a class isn't in the flavor profile, and that technique is important but not the most important thing you can learn in most classes. It's the thought process and how successful cooks approach cooking competition BBQ.

If I were going to pay for a class today, Donnie Teel would be at the top of my list. That's based on opinions from experienced friends that have taken the class over the years and recently. He's forgotten more about BBQ than most people will ever know.

Anyone have any suggestions for a class given for IBCA style cooking?

I'm biased because he's a personal friend and I cooked KCBS contests with him. Craig Sharry if he does another class. Between work and IBCA I think he's pretty busy, so I don't know if another class is planned. Cooking with Craig we talked a lot about BBQ, so I know the success he's had didn't just happen. If someone doesn't learn a few things that will help them in his class, they aren't listening.

I took Tuffy's and learned a bunch but some of it didn't translate to my style cooker. I think some attention should be paid to the pit your class uses and you use. The trimming and processing was huge for me. I loved Tuffy's class!

$0.02

I did a class with Donny Teel this year. Best experience I've had with classes. Highly recommended his class. You will learn a lot. That guy can flat out cook!

Eric.... After Donny Teels class.....it also helped my ibca scores significantly

There will be many opinions on this...... If money and location doesn't matter, who puts on the best competition class that I should go to? Not looking for best bang for the buck, just looking for the best.

I am doing pretty good for a rookie, lots of calls and 4 top tens in 6 kcbs contests this year, (I got my feet wet with 2 comps at the end of last year) so I would say I don't necessarily need to do a bbq101 type class. I have done a local chicken and rib class and it is no coincidence that those are my 2 best categories.

What smoker do you cook on and where do you compete?

Look at the class and ask yourself;
1) Do they cook on the style of cooker I cook on?
2) Do they compete in the region I compete in?
3) Are they a consistent top 5-10 team"
4) Do they cook my style, hot and fast or low and slow?
5) Are they at the contests I compete at and do they welcome me in their trailer if I stop by?
If you get 4 of 5 answers as YES, go for it.

If I were going to pay for a class today, Donnie Teel would be at the top of my list. That's based on opinions from experienced friends that have taken the class over the years and recently. He's forgotten more about BBQ than most people will ever know.

Just don't ask him to smile :becky:

I agree with Jorge. It's really not the flavors. I would look for a class from someone who cooks on the same type of smoker that you use. Their techniques will be the most applicable.

What do you cook on?

I would suggest the Shake n Bake and Gettin Basted guys from Gateway Drums

I can't say enough about this class. The only thing I'd say, is you better be ready to learn because they teach everything you need to know to be a successful team in a day. Both Tim and Brad are so smooth in what that they do that it almost looks effortless for them.

Eric.... After Donny Teels class.....it also helped my ibca scores significantly

Oh yeah? I just really don't know what I'm doing with the half chicken. I only managed a single top 10 in chicken last year, when chicken was our best category in KCBS. This year we've stuck to strictly KCBS, but it's getting old driving 7-8+ hours to every contest when I have an IBCA contest within 30 minutes basically every weekend. Now I'm thinking about doing the National BBQ Championship thing out in Meridian, so it's spurring me to get off my butt and figure it out.

Are you cooking IBCA chicken on the drums? You going to be in Lubbock this weekend?

I agree. I learned a lot in his class as well. But we don't use an offset stick burner either so I had to adapt some things to my style of cooking. It wasn't terribly hard, mostly timing and temperature changes. Tuffy is a great guy.

I took Tuffy's and learned a bunch but some of it didn't translate to my style cooker. I think some attention should be paid to the pit your class uses and you use. The trimming and processing was huge for me. I loved Tuffy's class!

$0.02

I have taken a few classes
Trigg best stories by far
Rod best organization of content
Chris Lilly Dude is a class guy and shared great info
QN4U Brent was the best for beginners
JerryA Burnin n Lootin great presentation of his cook
David, Butcher for Pellet cooks the best class
kosmos DVD classes both were very useful to me

I think a primary consideration should be if the class uses the same style cooker that you use in competition.

For gravity smokers, I loved Jim Burg's (Killer B's) class, and Jim is back on the competition circuit and said he's planning a class in the near future.

However, the best class I've taken in our own Brethren memeber Jason TQ. It was super affordable, and he did (multiple) very small (10 people) classes so you could really get involved with everything throughout the entire process. Plus his wife served her American Royal winning cheesecake :grin:

Back