Splitting Rounds

I have a bunch of large rounds to split. Came across a video on youtube that seemed to work well where a guy took a axe but put it on the edge of the round and then used a small sledge to hammer it in. I have to get a new axe but used a small hatchet and a little dinky hammer on some green oak and that worked so I know the concept is good.

What are you doing to split the rounds? ...Not talking about splitting splits only the large rounds. Thanks!
The biggest difference between an ax and a hatchet is the handle length. Instead of an ax, unless you want one, just get a hand sledge
Z32G7ufo5oy.JPG

to use in place of the little hammer. I use one with a splitting wedge to split just a few pieces, if that is all I need.

That's the one I'm familiar with that my neighbor rented...definitely a beast.

I just don't want to rent one every time there's a few rounds to split. If you have a whole tree worth then most definitely for quick processing.

In post #6 you said you had the splitter covered ??
i thot that meant you had one ?

I just had a 31 ton vert/horiz given to me,you can borrow it any time :)

In post #6 you said you had the splitter covered ??
i thot that meant you had one ?

I just had a 31 ton vert/horiz given to me,you can borrow it any time :)
Nah I meant the common wood splitter...as in log splitter.

Lucky you that someone gave you one! lol, thanks for the offer to use it...I'll pop right over. ;))

Nah I meant the common wood splitter...as in log splitter.

Lucky you that someone gave you one! lol, thanks for the offer to use it...I'll pop right over. ;))

This is a twin to the one i had already..

owner was moving it at a splitting site and it rolled on it's side.

laid like that a couple days,,once back on it's feet they broke the recoil starter because it was hydro locked,,oil leaked in on top of the piston and to much compression to start.

so they bot a new one,,easy fix for me ,pull plug ,clean..fix recoil,,pull over a couple hunderd times,,fill back up with oil,,away it went :)

I live on wood heat and I cut, buck,and split on average 10-12 cord a season. Large rounds give me stove wood, kindling and splits. Here's what you need.
Maul
Axe
Ratchet straps.
I shove the large rounds to the side and ratchet strap around the center fairly tight. Maybe that night or the next day I hit it with an axe around the perimeter every 3-1/2" or there abouts. Then i chase the check with a maul....it's not a crack it's a check...I digress. Unstrap and I got stovewood, splits, and kindling. The hearts fall right out, it's like listening to popcorn in my stove.

-D

I was given some wood to pickup, red oak that is very green, 30 to 36 inch rounds. I couldn't budge them. I tried pounding my axe in with a sledge in the side like one u tube video showed, he mad it look easy. My axe just bounced. I just got a new blade for my chainsaw and am pondering this method, but never cut with the grain before.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJErm5REVEw"]Splitting big rounds of wood the easy way - Stihl MS290 and Fiskars X27 - YouTube[/ame]

I was given some wood to pickup, red oak that is very green, 30 to 36 inch rounds. I couldn't budge them. I tried pounding my axe in with a sledge in the side like one u tube video showed, he mad it look easy. My axe just bounced. I just got a new blade for my chainsaw and am pondering this method, but never cut with the grain before.

Splitting big rounds of wood the easy way - Stihl MS290 and Fiskars X27 - YouTube

That's called noodling a log...because if the saw is sharp it will throw piles of noodles while you cut....works well for getting big rounds into manageable chunks, just make sure you have the round laying on its side like in that vid and not cutting down the cut face of the round.

Lots of good info! I'm splitting some oak and silver maple and thinking the maple is going to be a bit easier IDK.

Silver maple is pretty lightweight stuff, usually not too bad, oak for the most part is pretty straight grained so as long as it isn't notty it splits fairly easily too.

Yep, rounds are on their side, I have two new blades but no sharpener to sharpen them more. Going to give it a try.

CF18ql7CW2b4HcFTtKbX0GQb3CNgG5a4LVqHLMTGQLI_2Aw-Fh0y7KLXNDjefDfjyy7_NvPhIfDbG2Vd1bKrWGMJiIsK45pOUjxnkEbvd-hB5X_1o3G2YIWPkjaNYi2I9BrRSJgFMY90iF5-ig_ojpvR9PdjqfIjf7jvxAsyX7tqVRitcoIyGqQtFoNVhIAvDwFWrqYqvO-1EusD5VvGEQ4vO5wCUHCvCFnZ_xK1zseZyTdEMm9ptICzFclTX5ClUquEFNEQUWeaVbkTfXjEHFGqyeKJiHuSbbykdOBBC9NuWn9PBKM6A7UQN9_szVlPrOykw9Ung_E-jrryIhGelU6qdg8PYBGy8TflSPKXAyxlcdL0zxcZoqLvMeqQih08THFFCx6z8FFskitYDVSUiLoIG9_rCK6_dyA57WVo6Vqs0p5nso2dLHGl1sp92kAtxnjx779nC8L2EkMxWCHk8Ce8Lk3ybFAYgJuFqwrc-eL3RWn0VUUgeb3gmdeTe5qHc9LQG-_FGr7amPKgviNEaD-EN5Gfwn2Dvr2Q-1c7xzPlkKfjW3uY1W2W29drSFJ-IH1tJnOUYXU2mPSYkvWWA6R14A=w1059-h794-no

That's called noodling a log...because if the saw is sharp it will throw piles of noodles while you cut....works well for getting big rounds into manageable chunks, just make sure you have the round laying on its side like in that vid and not cutting down the cut face of the round.

Yep, rounds are on their side, I have two new blades but no sharpener to sharpen them more. Going to give it a try.

CF18ql7CW2b4HcFTtKbX0GQb3CNgG5a4LVqHLMTGQLI_2Aw-Fh0y7KLXNDjefDfjyy7_NvPhIfDbG2Vd1bKrWGMJiIsK45pOUjxnkEbvd-hB5X_1o3G2YIWPkjaNYi2I9BrRSJgFMY90iF5-ig_ojpvR9PdjqfIjf7jvxAsyX7tqVRitcoIyGqQtFoNVhIAvDwFWrqYqvO-1EusD5VvGEQ4vO5wCUHCvCFnZ_xK1zseZyTdEMm9ptICzFclTX5ClUquEFNEQUWeaVbkTfXjEHFGqyeKJiHuSbbykdOBBC9NuWn9PBKM6A7UQN9_szVlPrOykw9Ung_E-jrryIhGelU6qdg8PYBGy8TflSPKXAyxlcdL0zxcZoqLvMeqQih08THFFCx6z8FFskitYDVSUiLoIG9_rCK6_dyA57WVo6Vqs0p5nso2dLHGl1sp92kAtxnjx779nC8L2EkMxWCHk8Ce8Lk3ybFAYgJuFqwrc-eL3RWn0VUUgeb3gmdeTe5qHc9LQG-_FGr7amPKgviNEaD-EN5Gfwn2Dvr2Q-1c7xzPlkKfjW3uY1W2W29drSFJ-IH1tJnOUYXU2mPSYkvWWA6R14A=w1059-h794-no

Those are good sized chunks.

dont know what you have for a saw or a chain or bar ,,but make a vid ,,could be a youtube sensation !! :)

oh,and roll em onto a piece of plywood or something,,if you touch the pavement your done.

Got a pic of your saw and chain ??

Back