The "wrap"?

DC-Q

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I don't get the "wrap".

Why do so many wrap their meats at the end of the cook?
The only time I do it is if I'm short on time. (with a brisket it can definitely help you get through the "stall" a little faster).

That being said, I always get better results
when I don't wrap. I do try to always cook as much as possible at once. I never cook just one rack of ribs. My theory is simple, "more meat in the smoker = more moisture in the smoker".

I would love to hear everyone's take on this.

Cooking naked is the best way to cook... including the meat. LOL!:p
Seriously though, the only real reason to wrap is to get the cook done faster and keeping additional smoke from collecting on the meat, just depends on what's being cooked and what the cook is going for as a finished product.
Let's face it, the old timers never wrapped anything other than a slice or two in a piece of bread!:wink:

I lightly foil after some cooks, not wrap. That said -
I agree -"A full grill is a happy grill".
Had an excellent pizza joint try and make me a pizza in their oven off hours - it was empty - IT TOOK forever. The guy kept apologizing.
Mass of meat helps other masses.
Like if you have a vaca house, put gallons of water in the refrigerator,
to help hold temps. Otherwise, you are cooling nothing.

I wrap based off color. I don't prefer the meteor looking hunks of meat. Mahogany to dark brown with some char is my preference.

I probably wrap 50% of the time. It all depends on if I want to save color like THoey, or want to speed it up. If I'm doing a no time frame cook I usually go un wrapped.

I wrap to control the amount of smoke on my meat. I prefer a darkish mahogany on my ribs, quite a bit darker on the butts and briskies.

If I start having problems with my smoke I'll wrap to keep any bad smoke off the meat. I wrapped when I first started BBQing, but don't really see the need for it now. I keep a bowl of water in my cooker and keep an eye on the meat to make sure it doesn't burn anywhere and it turns out fine.

I found that if u wrap butts after you have them done and they rest for a couple hrs the bark naturally becomes more tender resting in its on juices. Thus making for more tender and better sandwiches.

I found that if u wrap butts after you have them done and they rest for a couple hrs the bark naturally becomes more tender resting in its on juices. Thus making for more tender and better sandwiches.

Not to mention that when you wrap, butts, briskies, or ribs, some of the smoke flavor penetrates quite a bit further.

Back