Something a little different with ribs...McRib sandwich

ruger35

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Decided to try something different today. An LSU message board that I am on is having a rib cookoff, entry day is tomorrow. Currently don't have a smoker and I figured a good but of people would be submitting smoked ribs, so I took out a couple of racks and decided to make a McRib sandwich.

Next time I would probably trim all the cartilage out of the ribs or go with baby backs. Other than that, the sandwich was pretty darn good. Toasted the brioche buns then smeared some Pineapple Habanero pepper jelly. Leroy&Lewis Beet BBQ sauce with some added honey and Mango Habanero pepper jelly. Pickles came from a semi-local bbq shop, really good.

PXL-20201020-212326103-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

PXL-20201020-212505973-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

whoyalovebbq-20201020-184857-1.jpg

whoyalovebbq-20201020-184857-2.jpg

whoyalovebbq-20201020-184857-3.jpg

I'm digging it! No doubt it had a lot of flavor with all of the different jellies. Good luck with the contest.

I'm digging it! No doubt it had a lot of flavor with all of the different jellies. Good luck with the contest.

I just started eating pepper jelly a couple of years ago, very underrated condiment IMO. I made a sandwich tray for a Christmas party last year, Costco croissants with assorted cheese and sandwich meat, but each one topped with a spread of strawberry chipotle or mango/pineapple habanero pepper jelly. Everyone acted like it was an expensive tray, cost me less than $30.

I have been wanting to try doing my normal 1 hour smoke, then finishing off in the pressure cooker till the bones can be pulled right out. I think im going to do that tomorrow. Its been a while since ive have a McRib or even a bbq pulled pork sandwich. Lately ive been hooked on pulled pork in its own juices, piled high on a regular hamburger bun, topped with sliced pickles and thinly sliced red onions. Horseradish optional.

As much as I cook with red onions and eat them at restaurants, I just never thought to put a raw one on my sandwich at home. Will definitely be doing it again.

If you're going to go the pressure cooker route I'd give yourself just a little more time. I went about an hour and them flipped them to get some good color and render some fat on top side. If I wouldn't have had a dutch oven seasoning in the house oven, I definitely thought about throwing them in the pans and in the oven for 30-minutes to an hour.

As much as I cook with red onions and eat them at restaurants, I just never thought to put a raw one on my sandwich at home. Will definitely be doing it again.

If you're going to go the pressure cooker route I'd give yourself just a little more time. I went about an hour and them flipped them to get some good color and render some fat on top side. If I wouldn't have had a dutch oven seasoning in the house oven, I definitely thought about throwing them in the pans and in the oven for 30-minutes to an hour.

I was going to hit them with some low and slow smoke for an hour, then transfer to the 1500F caveman broiler for some color/carmelization, then into the pressure cooker for at least 30 minutes, maybe longer if the bones dont want to pull.

But getting back to the plain pulled pork in its own juices, you have to try very thinly sliced red onion with at least a sliced pickle or two on a plain ol hamburger bun. It's so simple, but soo good.

I totally agree with the simple part. I've got a new pork sauce I want to try, but I've done a lot of the fancy twenty step processes for things and I've been working my way back towards simple, executed well food are my favorites.

I totally agree with the simple part. I've got a new pork sauce I want to try, but I've done a lot of the fancy twenty step processes for things and I've been working my way back towards simple, executed well food are my favorites.

I have been craving it lately because a local dive bar in my area ended up shutting down due to covid. They had the best sliced pork sandwiches in the area. Its was simply just roasted pork, sliced, and piled on a regular ol hamburger bun with a single slice of onion, and a pickle. The juices were out of this world, if you didn't eat it fast enough, you need a fork, lol. Man i miss this place......

Looks awesome! My favorite way to eat baby-backs is as a sandwich. I generally fish two times a week. A rib sandwich while fishing hits the spot big time. Nice work.
Yaker

I'll take that over a McRib any day :-D Those onion rings look killer too

Looks awesome! My favorite way to eat baby-backs is as a sandwich. I generally fish two times a week. A rib sandwich while fishing hits the spot big time. Nice work.
Yaker

That's one heavy meal out on the water! Ever fall asleep while fishing? Lol

Back