Dry Brine Turkey?

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We have two sets of guests coming to visit in November and I have been told I am doing two different Thanksgiving meals. With that in mind I have been watching my favorite pitmasters on utube for new ideas. Today I watched Chef Tom with All Things BBQ. He did a dry brine Cajun style turkey. I really liked the way it came out. Have any of you dry brined your birds and if so, what do you think? I always wet brine mine but this produced the kind of skin I like.

What is funny is he made a butter Cajun injection. Last year I found a Tony Chachere butter Cajun injection kit on the markdown table in my local market. It was like $1. I picked it up and used it on a turkey. It was awesome!

Yaker

I keep it simple with a wet injection. Simple salt/sugar. There's too many brines out there, wet/dry that use too many seasonings. Majority of them are not water soluble. Seems like a waste of money. I concentrate more on cooking the turkey perfectly, then trying to mask over cooking it and relying on tons of seasonings.

Do you wash off the dry brine afterwards before seasoning it with a rub?

Or is this technically the rub?

Either or actually but I usually wipe it off and add other seasoning, I've seen Sirporkalot mention many time leave it on

Do you wash off the dry brine afterwards before seasoning it with a rub?

Or is this technically the rub?

No need to wash off.
You can add more flavors to the turkey after the dry brine, if you want as the flavors of the brine are subtle.
I don’t add anything else though.

Turkey on my 24x36

I'm considering cooking the Thanksgiving turkey on my new Shirley 24x36. I plan on using a dry brine but am concerned how well the Shirley will do cooking the turkey. In the past I have used Weber kettle and BGE. Any constructive comments on do's and don't will be appreciated.

I was going to try Oakridge Game Changer this year on a turkey breast, possibly sous vide.

Back