Wrapping Pork Butt in Butcher Paper?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have two pork butts in the Bandera and I am out of foil, but I have a 765 foot roll of 30" wide butcher/boardwalk/kraft paper.

What do you think about wrapping the pork butt in this paper. I know it's great for brisket.

Last edited:
I never wrap my butts, but don't see why paper wouldn't work. :thumb:

I've tried pork butt both ways at 275F. I like wrapping them around 180F internal temp at the latest. If I don't wrap at all the bark is a bit tough for me.

You had me at "pork butt". I just finished making burritos out of Saturday's left over butt. They be goooood!

I don't normally wrap, but I have wrapped butts with both foil and paper. I like it better with paper. The bark holds up better just like with brisket.

I used to foil. Now if I wrap at all, I only use butcher paper.

been using butcher paper for years to wrap pork and brisket. Use it, you will like it. It make for a great presentation too when folks are standing watching you get their lunch ready. Beautiful, grease soaked paper covering a tender, juicy and steaming hunk of meat. The paper will just fall apart with a tug or two, and all who witness the process will be in awe. You will be their hero, or heroine!

I tried butcher paper as I use it for brisket all the time. I went back to foil for pork in general as a preference in cook time and rendered fat.

Butcher paper will work great, just keep in mind it doesn't cook as fast, and your cook times will change. I learned that the hard way making people wait on dinner :)

To retain moisture like Foil, Wrap in plastic wrap and then butcher paper. No the plastic wont melt unless your talking really high heat.

I always wondered about this. We always hear about butcher paper for brisket, but I wondered why not for pork butt. Glad someone asked this.

I don't complicate things....my butts go commando. Q is not as complicated as some want to make it.

I don't complicate things....my butts go commando. Q is not as complicated as some want to make it.

Ha! Commando is great if you haven't tried it. Just have to be careful of the chaffing :)

I don't wrap any of my meats. Haven't seen the need, and I love the bark I get without it.

I've done pork butt a couple times without wrapping. I like the bark better when wrapping at least by 180F internal. The bark becomes too hard and chewy for me with no wrapping.

I've done pork butt a couple times without wrapping. I like the bark better when wrapping at least by 180F internal. The bark becomes too hard and chewy for me with no wrapping.

Here's my theory on butts. The longer they cook the more bark is produced and the harder it can be. This is a 10.5 lb butt and cooked to 196 IT in only 7 1/2 hours in my mini...about 43 minutes a pound and this is the result.

Good bark but not hard and chewy, they always come out like this for me.

I have wrapped everything in butcher paper.. Your pork will come out just fine

I wrapped my last butt in butcher paper(same exact roll you have) and I loved the results. I will be doing it again. I don't like foil.

The pork turned out well wrapped in this kraft butcher paper--it was moist. I had ran out of foil and used it last night for two pork butts. The bark was lovely, had good smoke flavor. The paper got wet & soggy on the bottom and actually tore a little in one spot when I was dragging the butt out of the rack on the bandera--I'll be more careful next time to lift it up before moving it out.

I do like how it is much more affordable than foil. Let's see I paid $33 for 765 feet at 30" wide; that's 1.7 cents per square foot for the paper. Paid $3.98 for 75 square feet of aluminum foil so that's 5.3 cents per square foot. So the paper a little less than 1/3rd the cost of the aluminum foil.

I do like how it is much more affordable than foil. Let's see I paid $33 for 765 feet at 30" wide; that's 1.7 cents per square foot for the paper. Paid $3.98 for 75 square feet of aluminum foil so that's 5.3 cents per square foot. So the paper a little less than 1/3rd the cost of the aluminum foil.

Hmmmmmm . . . used butcher paper for the first time on a brisket last week at the north Texas bash (thanks for lending me some sliding_billy!) and liked the results. Thanks for giving me another good reason to buy a roll of butcher paper!

Back