• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Stir Fry: Outdoors on High Heat Propane Burner

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Made the following vegetarian stir fry--it was delicious! Veggies have the Maillard reaction / caramelization going on, were vibrant, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside--just like real stir fry should be.

ibe2dy.jpg

(Colors are not photoedited--this is how they really turned out.)

1ql7ox.jpg

A Vegetarian Stir Fry

This is what I typically make. The vegetables vary depending on what I have leftover, but I really favor broccoli and/or cabbage in them every time, especially since I don't often eat noodles with it. It's very filling, low calorie and virtually no carbs.

SAUCE:
3 parts soy sauce
1 part lemon juice
some brown sugar in the sauce to your liking
minced garlic

VEGGIES:
1 quarter of a cabbage, sliced/shredded
Some broccoli broken up
One or two carrots, juliened
1/2 onion, juliened
Deep fried tofu cubes (previously deep fried and frozen in gallon bag--grab a handful out of the bag)
1 or 2 stalks of celery sliced at a 45 degree angle

DIRECTIONS:

Put a couple tablespoons of oil in a carbon steel wok.
Throw it on your 60k BTU (or better) propane burner for about 5 seconds.
Throw the load of veggies in.
Stir fry for a few minutes until the maillard reaction / caramelization / slight charring. (Some loads might take as little as a minute. It all depends on the load size, the output capability of the burner, the wind, etc..)

Splash in the prepared sauce until you get the right salinity level.

Cook until sauce has reduced a bit and gelled to the veggies.

STIR FRY TIP: One needs a high BTU outdoor cooker to do real stir fry at home. It's six times or more powerful than the indoor burner (e.g. the $50 60K Bayou Classic propane burner on Amazon.com). Indoor "stir fry" is really "stir braise" because there *generally* isn't enough heat coming from the source to evaporate the steam off quickly enough. (Indoor stir-braise leads to pale colored veggies, soft on the inside and out, little to no caramelization/maillard/charring.)

Last edited:
Quite the colorful meal! I don't do tofu, but the rest looks good!

I do not like tofu (and I'll eat damn near anything), but I have never had it deep fried...

Back