Chiles Rellenos w/ Pron

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After seeing Cowgirl and DerHusker's Chiles Rellenos, causing me to salivate and get really hungry, I just had to make my own; I absolutely love this dish!

Here is dinner--it was yummy:

2d8nkb8.jpg

(Got that pretty plate from flea market this past weekend for 50 cents!)

So earlier:

Went to my local Mexican market and bought eight pablanos for $1.85/pound. Bought Monterey Jack and Ranchero Queso Fresco.

While there, I spoke to a few Mexican shoppers in my very rough Spanish asking how to make a salsa for this dish. I ended up going with eight roma tomatoes, four tomatillos, four chiles arboles, and six flame roasted serranos (seeds and veins removed)--added salt to taste.

Started my Bandera up to flame roast the pablanos:

23gy3hh.jpg

Flame roasting the pablanos:

(By the way one can really taste the smokey flavor from the wood in the chiles--flame roasting them over a wood fire is how they do it at Frontera restaurant; I think it adds a lot of good flavor.)

2qs8i76.jpg

Dredged the peeled, de-seeded and stuffed pablanos in flour:

2yyz02o.jpg

The fluffy batter (egg whites separated & whipped up first, adding a few pinches of flour as well) :

2ihugsj.jpg

Frying the little guys up:

sfb0xy.jpg

And here is the dinner again. :smile:

2d8nkb8.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
They look delicious! Are they stuffed with cheese?

They look delicious! Are they stuffed with cheese?

Yes, half were stuffed with Monterey Jack and half were stuffed with Ranchero Queso Fresco.

After eating both, to me the one stuffed with Ranchero Queso Fresco had the best taste.

I had spoke to a few Mexican shoppers at the Mexican market and all three said they like the "Ranchero" cheese in their chiles rellenos (which turns out to be a type of Queso Fresco I guess?) It tastes divine.

EDIT: Cowgirl, looking at your pulled pork chiles rellenos again now -- they look so yummy. I want to try those and some with both pulled pork and cheese. Mmmm..

Last edited:
mouthwatering.

there was a great little Mexican place near boston years ago that I ate at
frequently . I ordered the chili rellenos almost every time.

already researching where I can pick up some Ranchero Queso Fresco.

cicaque Ranchero Queso at the walmart superstores.

do you toss the skin from the serranos ?

thanks for the post.

mouthwatering.

there was a great little Mexican place near boston years ago that I ate at
frequently . I ordered the chili rellenos almost every time.

already researching where I can pick up some Ranchero Queso Fresco.

do you toss the skin from the serranos ?

thanks for the post.

Yes I did toss the skin from serranos--they were pretty black after charring them on the indoor gas range. I also only boiled the tomatoes & tomatillos because that is what a Mexican lady told me to do at the store. However, after seeing DerHusker roast the tomatoes and tomatillos outside first and seeing bits of black in the salsa in the blender, it looks appealing to me his way. Although the salsa I made was super delicious, I am open to suggestions for the next time I make them.

Last edited:

That is exactly the one I bought: "Cicaque Ranchero Queso Fresco". This was advice from three Mexican people--who couldn't speak English--there at the supermercado, here in Tulsa, Oklahoma. So there might be better, but this seems to be a local favorite at least.

Those look good. Between your pics and Jeanie's, I am going to have to try these. I have some leftover meat from Carnitas. Hell, it's nothing but Mexican flavored pulled pork. I think I will bag and freeze it until I get the rest of the stuff together...

Back