Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

Your Worst Turn In Box Ever! Pt.2

I tried to post in the sticky, wouldn't let me. I really liked the thread, as a newcomer, wanted to share some of my experiences, but my Results were better than my best BBQ. Weird!!
Cooked the ribs to the point that they fell apart when slicing. Thought they were the worst we have ever turned in. 1st place out of 108 entries, chappel hill VFD Tx.
568c0209.jpg

34ee006f.jpg

A year ago, turned in a brisket that was tender but super salty but actually had good flavor when you chased it with a margarita , dominated by a TQ ring, got 3rd
a2b80d5a.jpg

Put too much pickling spice in the brine, tasted like smoky chai tea, got 3rd of 56
e2095125.jpg

Box looks bare, minimal portions, king of coals Brenham Tx last year, got 2nd.
73069eb9.jpg

The pattern I see is cook BBQ really well, do decent. Turn in bad BBQ, crappy boxes and win. I don't understand it. I have only done 12 sanctioned comps, but damn I thought this stiff was gonma get DAL!!!

I tried to post in the sticky, wouldn't let me.

Sure it will... When you get the warning that you are posting in an old thread there is a check box that shows that you know that and want to post anyway. Rather than have a new thread I'll merge this one into the existing sticky thread.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly Boxes: Any Other Sites?

RE:
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly Boxes
Any Other Sites?

This thread is definitely a great training series for both cooks and judges.

Other than this great thread and bbqcritic.com, are there any other web sites that show the good, the bad, and the ugly of competition boxes?

Here's NOT a first, but a definite no no:

Brisket2.jpg

It's farking untrimmed AND upside down!:shock:

Who's to decide what upside down is if there isn't a particular way that the rules say to turn in. Our last 3 comps, we have turned In fat side up because it was so tender we didn't wanna chance it falling apart. 2nd, 1st, 2nd.

I am so much of an amateur, I see nothing wrong with any of these...Wow, do I have some learning ahead of me...

This was so overcooked I had no choice
mail

Our first comp. we got 3rd in Ribs. It looked waaaayyyy better than any of these:-o

My worst box ever

Last year I came in last place in Brisket because I trimmed ALL the fat off and it was a VERY lean Brisket. I pulled out one of the driest briskets I have ever made. Fat is your Friend.

This was our very first pork box. My wife thought it would be funny to make a face out of the pulled pork. :grin:

im so sorry.. but THATS FARKIN FUNNY!!!! (tears in eyes here).

If I was judging that, I'd have to stop laughing long enough to sample.

thanks.. i needed that. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I know a lot of pics have been removed or the links have stopped working over the years but this has to be the winner for the thread. I was laughing when I saw the smile but the eyebrows made me LMFAO. Like BBQchef33, I couldn't stop laughing. (page 8, post 110)

I don't have a pic to share but the one I can think of was an episode of BBQ Pitmasters where the new guy Paul made a whole chicken and just carved it up and filled the entire box with it.

In my first comp and being from SC, I know ribs, pulled pork & chicken. I didn't know what a brisket was. Then when I bought it, I thought it looked like a boneless uncut loin roast. I cook my steaks to medium (140 degrees) and prime rib to 135 and they are tender as hell. What's the problem?

HAHAHAHA...little did I know. :)

I pulled that puppy at 135, let it rest then sliced it to 1/8" thick. It actually sliced pretty easy, of coarse that's all it did. OMG!!! it was beef jerky. Had great flavor, but all you could do was chew it...and chew it.....and chew it some more before you you either gave up and spit it out or if brave and risking choking to death, swallow it.

Needless to say, I didn't score well. 21 out of 25. What surprised the hell outta me was that there were 4 others that were actually worse than mine. HAHAHAHAA!!!

I have gotten better OBTW. :)

This brisket box was from my first year competing (my 4th comp). It is by far the worst box of meat I have ever turned in. It was the first and only time I ever injected a brisket. It turned out bad, looked horrible and cost me a GC.

Back