doing a pig

What size hog? How much will the hog cost? How much charcoal/wood will you use to cook the hog? What other ingredients or supplies will you use? How do you value your time? Will you be serving or just cooking on site and then are done?

If you can answer these questions you should get close to what you should charge.

Kinda like asking how much is a bale of hay? Bale is not a unit of measurement. Pig is not a unit of measurement.

How many people are being fed? How much does the pig weigh on the hoof? How much does the pig weigh gutted and cleaned? How many hours labor to prepare the pig? How many hours to cook the pig? Is the pig going to be cooked on site? Are you serving the pig? Are you supplying serving tables, chafing trays, utensils, plates, or sterno? Specific answers require specific questions.

We are here to help. We will help when we have most of the clues.

jacked up bbq thanks that was what i was wondering.i'll be buying the pig,around 75 people,doing it on site,so don't think it should be all that bad but not doing one before gets me alittle nerves!

For 75 people I get $18.95 per person with two sides on site. If people think that is too much then I tell them I can do pulled pork from butts for $10.50 with two sides but if they want the whole hog it is a lot more work for me and expense.

For 75 people I get $18.95 per person with two sides on site. If people think that is too much then I tell them I can do pulled pork from butts for $10.50 with two sides but if they want the whole hog it is a lot more work for me and expense.

How big of hog would you use for 75 people? thanks HBMTN or who ever else can awnser the question.

I do not cook smaller than 100 lbs dressed, that should feed 80 comfortably. any smaller its all bones, any bigger hard for me and the little woman to horse around and takes a bit longer. if they need more meat, i then supplement butts

Dont over think it. Charge by the raw weight pound. I get between 7-10 per pound for a pick up

Matt 700-1k for a pick up 100 lber dressed? Im there but i cook on site, sux...

how do you do the pig for pick up? cook it on a board?

well, if you want an idea of what whole hogs are costing. 100lb hog, coming in tmrw am, 3.89/lb. Whole hog prices went thru the roof in the past 2 weeks. So at 400 raw product, cooking, i'd have to charge AT LEAST a $1000

How big of hog would you use for 75 people? thanks HBMTN or who ever else can awnser the question.

You could feed them on a 100lb pig but I would cook a 120lb'r to give a little left overs. I figure they may feel better about the price eating left overs for a few days. I make no bones about it to them that the higher price is due to the extra work involved.

Back