First Ribs on the Big Joe

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Staff member
Reaction score
Late start, so we're going to go hot & fast. First try at smoking on the Big Joe. have never cooked on a Kamado, have never cooked with lump, haven't cooked with any charcoal in about 10 years. But it's like riding a bike right? We'll see how it goes...

A little #porkmafia Swwet Pink & Memphis Mud, couple chunks of Pecan for smoke. May as well throw the rib tips on as well...

35759912166_361665e7a3_b.jpg

35631196542_cb8b7520c9_b.jpg

A bit high, still figuring out the amount of lump required & the proper venting...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4261/34990556613_df0b1114d5_b.jpg[/img]

Last edited:
Nice looking ribs. I just saw those grills at Costco today. I was really impressed. I just recently acquired a medium green egg. That was my first kamado cooker as well. I have really had fun with it, and have had no problems at all with temp control. Have fun.

Wow, that was fast. Toothpick test says the ribs are done. Just over 2 hours. FEC was always at least 2 1/2 hours.

Coat of Yes Dear Red sauce...

35631177512_36e8b48855_b.jpg

34990543443_d5f6c1c052_b.jpg

Last edited:
Turned out really nice!

LYU370, your cooker isn't really dependent on how much lump is placed in the fire box in order to control the temperature. You can dump in a ton of lump and then set the vents to a small opening, and the fire will not grow to be any bigger than what the available air will allow. This will cause a fire, that is "X" big, to slowly burn across all the lump while maintaining the same set temperature.

Looks really good. I was drawn to the Kamado world 4 years ago from the kettle and wsm. I quickly realized that the Kamado was the way to go. 11 cookers later I own a 23" and 33" Komodo Kamado exclusively. I sold all of my Qs and this is all that I need to tackle everything.

I have always said that the Kamado is like the Swiss Army knife of BBQ. It can not compare to a traditional offset for smoke.... buts it's close.

Look into a smoking pot to really increase your smoke profile. I have started using one this year and the smoke it generates is clean and smells incredible.

bosco, I'm trying to search for a smoking pot but it's not working out for me... :wacko: got a link?

Look into a smoking pot to really increase your smoke profile. I have started using one this year and the smoke it generates is clean and smells incredible.

Interesting, may give it a go sometime. How many holes & what size would you recommend?

bosco, I'm trying to search for a smoking pot but it's not working out for me... :wacko: got a link?

As far as I can tell, it's a DIY project that sacrifices a dutch oven. From one of the links below:

"I drilled 1/8" holes in the BOTTOM of the 2 qt Dutch Oven. I drilled the holes about 2" apart around the perimeter of the DO and then across the circle of holes and then at 90 degrees to form a cross.

I use this on TheBeast where plenty of room is to be found. I'll be certain to snap pics of the setup I use when smoking butts, briskets, etc.

By using 1/8" holes the DO can use pellets as well as chunks.

By drilling the holes in the bottom, the smoke is injected through the bottom holes directly into the hot charcoal. That arrangement burns off all the volatiles that you always get using just smoke wood. The "cleansed" smoke then rises and condenses on the meat. You essentially get Thin Blue Smoke from the first minute of your cook. "

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23843-2-qt-wood-chunk-smoking-pot/

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/19071-for-ceramicchefa-question-about-smoke/

Last edited:
Am I ok to post from another forum a link? If not I'll delete that. It is from the Komodo Kamado forums. A member names Szyzgies came up with the idea and it has been adopted as a method for smoking on a Kamado.

Here is a link http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/6732-syzygies-smoking-pot/?page=1 again please remove if this is not allowed.

The basics is to take a 2 quart Dutch oven with a lid. I used the lodge 2 quart from Costco that I purchased for around 35.00 from bass pro.

On the bottom of the pot you will use a 1/8 drill bit and drill 3 hole in a triangle pattern in the centre within 1" pattern.

The theory is that you load it up with wood chunks and chips and stick it directly on top of the fire. Wishing 5 minutes it will start burning. The white smoke (dirty smoke) will push out of the holes directly into the fire. The fire acts like a purifier and only clean blue smoke rises.

Some will actually seal the lid with a flour water mix like a paste but I haven't need to do this yet.

This works and works well. No more white smoke just clean filtered blue smoke on a Kamado. It beats the throwing the chinks into the lump.

You just need to trust me and try it. This is a game changer for the Kamado.

I would say Yes Dear please put some on my plate.
Brethren cpw's sauce. Won a free bottle to try when he first came out with it and been buying it ever since. It's become one of my favorite sauces.

On the bottom of the pot you will use a 1/8 drill bit and drill 3 hole in a triangle pattern in the centre within 1" pattern.
So only 3 holes? Saw another post on a different forum that I linked above that had a larger number of holes.

3 is all that you need for this smoking pot. It is truly something that every Kamado owner should own. Trust me on this one

Back