Black Diamond Charwood review

RatSass

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
From a question about Charwood in another post I decided to order some and try it out.

They say:

Supposedly 94% carbonized and uniform in size. Goes out quickly when you shut the air off so you can use it repeatedly. Made from uniform logs and no bark. Package says its packaged by Amzia LDK which appears to be a Russian Company.
image_zpsjq1hgfes.jpeg

http://[URL=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/bduffel/media/image_zpsuohl836l.jpeg.html]
[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/bduffel/image_zpsuohl836l.jpeg
Anyway it is fairly uniform. A few small and a few large pieces but almost no dust and powder. No uncarbonized wood and no plywood or funky stuff.
image_zpsrb0svupq.jpeg

Here is the pan after I filled the basket.
image_zps6j1bxqlf.jpeg

Did a 13 lb brisket and smoked some turkey legs. Used my Humphrey's Pint. Ran 250-275. After 5 hours brisket hit 160. CharWood did seem a little smoky. Ran consistent though. Brisket turned out fair. Needed a little more time and wrapping.
image_zpso35w57qi.jpeg

image_zpsew3qe006.jpeg

image_zpsztiyymux.jpeg

Next morning I had about half leftover and can use it over again. Average ash leftover.
image_zpsizgiif4i.jpeg

image_zpsh8egoxp5.jpeg

I think this would be good in a Kamodo type cooker. Works fine on the kettle and could probably reuse it 3 times easily. I'll use up what I have but probably revert back to regular lump. Not convinced it's the best for insulated cabinet smokers. I paid 15 bucks online from Ace Hardware for the 1.18 cu. ft. box. Used about half the box or less and can reuse what's leftover so that box would prolly last three 9 hour cooks. The Black Diamond Charwood is 25 bucks on Amazon normally..

The bottom line is it works and is great for grilling. I'm unconvinced it offers any advantage for smoking and long cooks.

Last edited:
Saw some in my local ace yesterday but for the price I decided against it. It was 19.99 for the box but the Akorn uses so little I may give its shot after run through my bag of royal oak. Thanks for the review.

Saw some in my local ace yesterday but for the price I decided against it. It was 19.99 for the box but the Akorn uses so little I may give its shot after run through my bag of royal oak. Thanks for the review.

If you go online Ace has it for $14.99 through the end of the month. I hope you'll try it in the Akorn and report back the results.

It appears the key to the CharWood is being able to snuff it out and reuse it.

Not sure I can grasp the reusable part. Does it magically burn and not turn to ash?

Look at the last pic. Whatever is left is good to reuse. It burns but doesn't burn up like regular lump or briquettes. It works great in a regular grille for grilling. Cook, finish then shut off the air. Reuse what's left. It burns differently from briqs or regular cheap lump.

Look at the last pic. Whatever is left is good to reuse. It burns but doesn't burn up like regular lump or briquettes. It works great in a regular grille for grilling. Cook, finish then shut off the air. Reuse what's left. It burns differently from briqs or regular cheap lump.

Really! Because I shut the vents and "reuse" all brands of lump in my cookers. I really like the organic catch phrase also.

Got some of this on closeout at Target......if I use a kettle that shuts down tight (not all of them do !!!) it will snuff out better than Wicked Good, and that's QUICK !!!!

How much charcoal is in the box by weight? Their volume labeling is not helpful.

About 4-1/2 chimneys full. A chimney is about .24-.25 cu. ft.

The weight thing is a little nebulous because this stuff doesn't weigh anything. It's extremely light because the wood has been almost totally (94%) carbonized.

It's hard to explain. The biggest pieces weigh almost nothing. A big bag of it would probably weigh 7 or 8 pounds, if that much.

Back