North Texas Brethren Bash, Saturday Oct 18th - Lake Ray Roberts Isle du Bois State Park

You'll be glad you came if you do make it up here. I had a blast at the last one, I'm already excited about this one and it's months away.

I need to tag this post so I get emails. I can't promise anything at this time, but will let y'all know as it gets closer. If I come, I'll bring my WSM.

I'll put ya on my "remind this guy when it gets closer " list.

Seriously, i've gotta list with some real cool farkers on it and there's always room for more.

Hmmm.. Defiantly in for meeting some of the North Tx brethren family if there's room for more.. I have family in the DFW so not to sure of the camping but always game for Q n Brew.. If I make it, nobody should have excuses as it'll be a 7-9 hr drive for me.. Lol

Hmmm.. Defiantly in for meeting some of the North Tx brethren family if there's room for more.. I have family in the DFW so not to sure of the camping but always game for Q n Brew.. If I make it, nobody should have excuses as it'll be a 7-9 hr drive for me.. Lol
There is room...come on! :thumb:

C'mon up! Lotsa room and plenty of tasty food, brews and great folks!

What all can I contribute? What's everyone like to drink? Perticular cuts not available to everyone?

Make what you're best at. At the spring bash everybody made what they're good at and we all got to eat some fantastic food.

Whoa! Pharr is...well...pharr!

Phubar approves oph your town's name.

Yep, cook something you do well and all will be good. If you have a non-traditional specialty you are good at, that's a bonus for the rest of us :wink:

Guess I'll bring some sweet breads an standard fajitas lol gotta have Abts and maybe a brisket lol...

Yea I'm Deep South another 3hrs south of SA but no biggie I'll be visiting family in the same area around sept also. Need to finish up this UDS to take on the trip :)

If you have a non-traditional specialty you are good at, that's a bonus for the rest of us :wink:

Yep, this. I had some great Q at the last bash, but my favorite thing was the gyros that Peeps made in his smoker, followed by his smoked bourbon pecan pie.

The only thing to be careful of is making too much food. We had a bunch of brisket that didn't get devoured like everything else at the last bash because three of them came off the smoker pretty close to each other, and everybody was already bursting at the seams. Don't try to feed the whole crowd a meal, figure on giving 20 people a taste (a couple slices of brisket, a couple bones of ribs, a gyro, whatever). Bonus if you do something fairly quick-cooking so it can be part of lunch. By dinner time everybody was showing signs of meat sweats.

*IF* I can make the trip, I'll bring some of my wife's Korean Ribs. Twenty to thirty minutes to cook over direct heat. Should be great for lunch. If that is the only thing I end cooking, I might not bring my WSM unless someone else needs it. We'll see. Can always delegate it as a fatty smoker...

I'll need a link to Google maps for the park and some info as to whether we can bring our two small mutts. Is there a cheap hotel in the area? If not, I'll look into borrowing a tent from a friend.

*IF* I can make the trip, I'll bring some of my wife's Korean Ribs. Twenty to thirty minutes to cook over direct heat. Should be great for lunch. If that is the only thing I end cooking, I might not bring my WSM unless someone else needs it. We'll see. Can always delegate it as a fatty smoker...

I'll need a link to Google maps for the park and some info as to whether we can bring our two small mutts. Is there a cheap hotel in the area? If not, I'll look into borrowing a tent from a friend.

Info on pets...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/#pet

Directions...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/ray-roberts-lake/map

There are some hotels around I-35 and 380 in north Denton and probably some in Sanger.

I'd love to join you all plus I'll bring my new smoker. This smoker is pretty big, so I got plenty of room if anyone needs some space. And I'm up for a little friendly competition, I'm sure I'd learn a thing or two. Since I'm new to this, what do you all usually bring to cook?

I'd love to join you all plus I'll bring my new smoker. This smoker is pretty big, so I got plenty of room if anyone needs some space. And I'm up for a little friendly competition, I'm sure I'd learn a thing or two. Since I'm new to this, what do you all usually bring to cook?
In the Spring I did a couple breakfast fatties with biscuits, a lamb loaf, and a pecan smoked bourbon pecan pie. Last fall I did a stuffed breakfast fatty, pig shots, and a pork butt.

There will be way too much food, as always, so it is really up to you. Try something new and different or do the thing you do best. Or use us as an audience to perfect something you have struggled with...

Info on pets...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/#pet

Directions...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/ray-roberts-lake/map

There are some hotels around I-35 and 380 in north Denton and probably some in Sanger.

Thanks Peeps. I "mentioned" about this trip to the wife and she actually thought it sounded fun. We'll see how things go. Do y'all normally show up Friday or Saturday? Looking at Google, if we woke up really early, we could be there by lunch Saturday, but we are both pretty much night people due to our jobs, so not sure how that would work. We'll have to see how it goes.

"If" you come, warn me if there is any sesame used in the Korean ribs. I'd hate to interrupt the bash by going into shock. :wacko:

Thanks Peeps. I "mentioned" about this trip to the wife and she actually thought it sounded fun. We'll see how things go. Do y'all normally show up Friday or Saturday? Looking at Google, if we woke up really early, we could be there by lunch Saturday, but we are both pretty much night people due to our jobs, so not sure how that would work. We'll have to see how it goes.
Some folks camp starting Friday, some folks camp starting Saturday, some show up early Saturday, some show up before lunch on Saturday. All depends on if you are cooking and what you are cooking and how long you can stand to hang with us farkers! :wink:

Back