What do you slop on top?

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok, we're talking pulled pork here. And it seems to me that pulled pork sammy are a regional thing when it comes to what you sauce it up with (and I'm talking just the bun, pulled pork, sauce and slaw kinda sammy). As we all know NC has its vinegar sauce, KC has its tomato sweet, yada, yada, yada... What I want to know though, is what do YOU use?!?! And WHY do you think its better? I went to KU so I'm a KC style kinda guy.

I offer pulled pork sammy's on my menu, but I have always had it with one sauce... KC sweet. I want to get a couple sauces together to offer, so I just want to see what sauce(s) are you guys having PP sammies with at home as well as whats you fav overall (could be a restaurant... whatever) I just wanna know the style of sauce and a basic flavor profile. Thanks everyone... Look forward to seeing the feedback. :thumb:

Cheers

Call me strange, but on my PP sandwich I like bread and butter pickles (I make my own) with dijon mustard. The moist pork with some good smoke, the sweet and sour from the pickles, and a bit of spice from the mustard. I do not like to use a sweet bread for the roll/bun. Something soft, but I let the filling provide the sweetness.

Born in raised in KC but I actually prefer a vinegar sauce on PP. Recently we have been using Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

I do NOT put slaw on my sammies, but I like the pulled pork sauce recipe in the recipe section here, just replace the 1C sugar with 1.5C brown sugar and its just almost perfect. (gonna have to play with the pepper some more.

I like a sauce that's a mix of vinegar and tomato based. Straight NC style vinegar is not my favorite. But I do have to have some slaw on top.

I prefer a little tomato vinegar sauce on top but I can just as easily use a some mustard sauce or thicker, sweeter sauce. I used to make my own but really like Tennessee Red.

I'm not a fan of mayo based cole slaws.

Pickles are good too. I especially like that if I'm making a sammy with leftover brisket, short ribs or pulled beef.

Most times it's just mustard and mayo on the buns, red onions, pickles, raw or pickled jalapeno, and whatever Q sauce I happen to have. That about does it for me.

If I don't eat mine plain (no slaw in my house), then I prefer a little red vinegar sauce. Blues Hog original is good, also.

I use a sauce of apple cider vinegar, ground red or cayenne pepper, and salt. This goes on the meat and cole slaw goes on top of the meat.

I use a sauce of apple cider vinegar, ground red or cayenne pepper, and salt. This goes on the meat and cole slaw goes on top of the meat.
This is real close to the sauce served at Bob Gibson's restaurant. For me, some vinegar slaw and that sauce is it. Nothing else needed.

I like to mix either Sweet Baby Rays or Famous Dave's Sweet and Zesty with a little apple cider vinager to thin it out and add some dehydrated garlic and onion as well as red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. I let that simmer for about 10 minutes and pour it over the PP.:thumb:

Great feedback.. Personally I don't like a vinegar sauce on my sammy... Always been more a fan of ketchup based sauces... I don't serve what I don't like, how am I going to know if it tastes good or not! lol But it does seem many of you are fans of the NC Vinegar sauces. I'll have to look into this some more and experiment with a vin sauce that I would like... more than likely a red vin sauce. with a touch of sweet and hot.... instead of tart and tangy. I think its the tartness that gets to me. I'll have to work around that... or with it.

Anyone ever tried out a beer sauce on the sammys? Basically a regular red sauce thinned with a good beer? that could be nice... no? OK I have some work to do on this now... Great feedback guys (and Gals) keep em coming!

Cheers

Great feedback.. Personally I don't like a vinegar sauce on my sammy... Always been more a fan of ketchup based sauces... I don't serve what I don't like, how am I going to know if it tastes good or not! lol But it does seem many of you are fans of the NC Vinegar sauces. I'll have to look into this some more and experiment with a vin sauce that I would like... more than likely a red vin sauce. with a touch of sweet and hot.... instead of tart and tangy. I think its the tartness that gets to me. I'll have to work around that... or with it.

Anyone ever tried out a beer sauce on the sammys? Basically a regular red sauce thinned with a good beer? that could be nice... no? OK I have some work to do on this now... Great feedback guys (and Gals) keep em coming!

Cheers

I like thinned out red sauces with beer. For whatever reason, the really darker beers (Guinness) seem best. They still stand out against the sauce and are there in the final taste as well. I think a good beer sauce would rock a pork sammich.
Let us know what you come up with.

Back