Rats in my BBQ area

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
This is actually a serious post, and if it's too off topic for the Q forum, someone please move it.

I have rats living under my patio (broken concrete slabs) and I want them to go away. Poison will work, but they'll die and stink especially in this summer heat. Plus I don't want to kill the squirrels or the neighborhood cat.

Is there something that I can put in a garden sprayer and hose down their nest with that'd make them go away forever?

Or another idea?

They are outdoors for now, but dangerously close to the house. It's where my grills are and I'm afraid of dropping food on the ground.

Advice, please.

Could you set traps for awhile, see if that thins them out?

Not sure if it's a better solution but a large snake would do the trick.

There has to be a food source near by. Rat traps where the squirrels don't go?

get you a good cat. I had the same issue an my place being so far out in the country and I got a barn cat and she took care of it in about 3 days. Even left a few snakes at the back door.

Yep, rat traps baitied with peanut butter. Rats are used to living n filth, so there isn't much you can spray that will make them go away. It might drive them into the house too. If you want to spray something you can try some fox spray, but I'm not sure it will work.

Need about four cats! Preferably a momma and three kids. Required if you live near the water or live in the country.

There is poision that will kill them and not make them stank.. Not sure what it is but i have used it before.. Got it from a cousin that owns a pest control outfit.. They all went bye bye..

Down here we go to the Ag store and get small bags of poison pellets- don't even open bag - just chunk them in attic or under porch etc. it dehydrates them lil bastards and they go searching for water or shrivel up n die where they are at - no stink. I can only find it at the Ag/Farm stores.

Small crossbow and some deer corn would be more sporting tho..........

+1 on what Smitty said. They work. Had attic rats at the old house and this took care of them.

Down here we go to the Ag store and get small bags of poison pellets- don't even open bag - just chunk them in attic or under porch etc. it dehydrates them lil bastards and they go searching for water or shrivel up n die where they are at - no stink. I can only find it at the Ag/Farm stores.

Small crossbow and some deer corn would be more sporting tho..........

I use them at my cabin. They do work well.

Get them at the local hardware store in town

I use the electronic traps you can get on amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-RZC001-Classic/dp/B002665ZTC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437505792&sr=8-2&keywords=electric+rat+trap"]Amazon.com : Rat Zapper Classic RZC001 : Home Pest Control Traps : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413gqaar0ML.@@AMEPARAM@@413gqaar0ML[/ame]

works pretty good - just check often and make sure you change bait once a week or so. No poison to worry about and you can just grab the trap and dump rat into bag / trash.

There has to be a food source near by. Rat traps where the squirrels don't go?

Patio is under a mulberry tree, which all sorts of birds and squirrels are nibbling from. I think the rats are eating the same fruit on the ground. No place is inaccessible to a squirrel.

Beer and a .22 Rifle..........

Thought about that, but neighbors are too close. Am considering a pellet rifle though... an excuse to buy another gun.

There is poision that will kill them and not make them stank.. Not sure what it is but i have used it before.. Got it from a cousin that owns a pest control outfit.. They all went bye bye..

A dead rat is gonna decompose and stink. How can it not?

I've seen 3 of them in the yard at the same time. Must be a family. The local cat must be well fed, he doesn't seem interested.

I know where they are, in a hole in the ground under my patio. I could flush them out with a garden hose but they'd just come back. I bought a couple bait traps from Home Depot but I'm just not wanting to smell dead rodents in the back yard for a couple weeks.

Jalapeño sauce... now there's an idea...

Back