Cyberq wifi vs cyberq 2

grantw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Is the wifi version worth buying over the cyberq 2? Does the wifi version work with secured email updates?

Is the wifi version just abit too gadgety and buggy?

I was going to buy a BBQ Guru Cyber-Q, but my family not knowing the difference bought me the BBQ Guru Digi-Q II.

I set up my gift and tried it only to find that I really didn't need the Cyber-Q. The Digi-Q II perfectly minds the pit even when I am away or asleep. Really this is all I care about because I no longer have to get up and check the pit.

Although the ability to see the temps on my computer or cell phone would be nice, I am satisfied with just pit control. The Cyber-Q also allows you to monitor the pit and 3 separate meat probes.

In my younger years minding the pit having a beer or two was fun with some time for solitude and reflection. Now that I have aged, I desire a good nights sleep so I can enjoy the event as well as the guests.

It's really a matter of what you need vs what you want....

I have the CyberQ Wifi and really like it. The ability to check my pit and meat temps via my phone and/or computer come in handy when doing other things while cooking. It does have an email capability, but I have never used it. The manual may answer your question. http://www.thebbqguru.com/NEW-PDF/CyberQ-WiFi.pdf

If you have two pits, the CyberQ II is probably the unit for you.

I have the CyberQ II and love it! I like the ability to run 2 smokers at once. You can control it and get updates from your phone or a remote computer IF the guru is plugged into a computer at home or wherever it is.

I have the wifi cyberQ and love it!!!!

I recently purchased a better router asus RT-N66R, since my netgear crapped out and the comcast router was horrible!

Anyways, it works great, I also set up the email, just in case I have issues at night. Works great on with my Ipod Touch, sends me emails, (if needed, for timed intervals or just alarms). I like to have the sound settings alerts turned on, in my ipod settings for night cooks, just for extra piece of mind. That way, I get a sound tone, when I get an email. :-D

It is a bit tricky to set up at first, but once you got it, it is great.

It is fairly easy to update the firmware, when BBQ GURU has new firmware available.

Hope it helps.

Back