First brisket done and dry

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Well I cooked that massacred brisket I posted about yesterday. I used the HNF method of going fat cap down till it was 140 internal then I wrapped in parchment paper and put back on the UDS till it was probe tender. I think it could have went a tad longer for the probe tender but it wasn't too bad. Well taste is good but boy this thing is dry as hell. What did I do wrong? I am wondering if I should have foiled but maybe it was because it was such a crappy cut of brisket? It seems like I am eating some overcooked steaks. Can anyone shed some light before I ruin my $50 packer next weekend?

What I have always read is if it holds a slice and is dry it is under cooked....if it shreds and falls apart when sliced it is over cooked.

Because you gotta melt the marbled fat to be juicy. If it's Dry it didn't go long enough to melt the marbled fat in the meat - not the outside fat.

I am not sure this piece of brisket had much marbled fat. I am glad to know this but it was almost like a steak. I think it was a pretty shameful cut of brisket. Some po dunk locker in missouri butchered this cow for us. I have not been impressed by their work.

I have always trimmed my brisket well and cooked it fat side up. weather cooking hot and fast or slow. wrap at 165..cook till it hits 195...can't go wrong.

It didn't look too good to me........a full packer should be easier.....look for Thick Flexible flat

I cook fat cap down in UDS so fat cap is bit of heat shield - fat cap don't render much anyways it's the marbled fat and connective tissues that render into Juicy Goodness.

It didn't look too good to me........a full packer should be easier.....look for Thick Flexible flat

Not including the fat cap, should I trim most of the fat from the other side or leave as much fat on as I can? Is parchment paper ok to wrap with or should I use a brown paper grocery sack?

I've only smoked maybe 20 briskets but one of the first things I learned the hard way was to always go with Choice grade or above. Alot of folks here can take a Select grade and make it perfect. Not me.

I just did my first foil wrapped Choice grade packer today but having to hold it in the fridge until tomorrow. I'm liking the way it looked coming off but not slicing until tomorrow. Hope to post pic's.

Keep Trying!

I use Parchment paper - trim all Hard Fat n Yellow Fat and I like to get fat down to 1/4" or so - I like to cut corner off flat so I know where to start slicing.

I've only smoked maybe 20 briskets but one of the first things I learned the hard way was to always go with Choice grade or above. Alot of folks here can take a Select grade and make it perfect. Not me.

I just did my first foil wrapped Choice grade packer today but having to hold it in the fridge until tomorrow. I'm liking the way it looked coming off but not slicing until tomorrow. Hope to post pic's.

Keep Trying!

Is this your first time with foil or your first choice brisket? How do you like using foil? My boss uses foil and swears by it but it seems as if popular opinion is to not foil briskets.

Is this your first time with foil or your first choice brisket? How do you like using foil? My boss uses foil and swears by it but it seems as if popular opinion is to not foil briskets.

1st time with foil. I used to think a brisket is a brisket. I think there is not as much fat to render in a Select grade but it might turn out better foiled.

I did a Choice grade today and it was jiggly when probe tender. Wish I could have cut it to see after it rested but it's in the fridge for tomorrow. I'll post once it's sliced and back to temp.

I would buy all Choice if I wasn't a PoBoy........

They do have more marbled fat to render and so have taken longer to get done in my experiences - 2-3 hrs longer cook time

Yes. Kobe > Wagyu > Prime > Choice > Select is the order. If I remember correctly...

Back