• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

???? WSM 170* set up ????

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on a setup to run a WSM at 170*? Any input on number of briquettes, vent settings, pan conditions would be appreciated. I have two big salmon slabs dry curing overnight, that I want to smoke tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I would get my fire going some and then shut down all the vents except for one. Keep that one open just a crack. I use the minion method so I don't think the amount of charcoal matters too much.

I usually have the opposite problem. temps run too high.

Send some of that salmon over this way when you're done,

Like Chef Jim said, start out using the minion method with about 5 lit coals, close 2 bottom vents and leave the third open just a crack.
I never smoked at 170, but if I did, this is how I would approach it.

I've normally only smoked salmon in cooler weather, but if you have a kettle, you could add hot coals from it, a few at a time, until you reached your target temp, then just keep an eye on it and add more as needed. My WSM's all run at about 230-240 with all 3 bottom vents shut and the top one open, so a full load might not be best.

maybe just stick the wsm in the sun. should be right around that !
really at that temp yer best to control it by the amount of coals used.

Like Chef Jim said, start out using the minion method with about 5 lit coals, close 2 bottom vents and leave the third open just a crack.
I never smoked at 170, but if I did, this is how I would approach it.

That's about right. I've smoked salmon at 180 on my 22.5" and just used a small unlit pile with a few (maybe 8) lit briqs on top. I used Stubb's charcoal which tend to burn cooler so I think that helped. I suggest undershooting the temp. And using the bottom grate.

Agree with the above, start the minion with a few coals, have one vent open just a crack. It will be much easier if you have water in the pan.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll be going minion with a few lit coals to start, water in the pan, and fish on the lower rack. I've "hot smoked" fish a bunch of times, but this is my first shot with a dry cure and lower temps.

Back