Getting Started

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I've had numerous friends and coworkers tell me I should start selling BBQ and that they would pay for it without blinking. So with that in mind I have a SF30x80 insulated on order, expect to take delivery in early March.

I also went to the local health district to figure out that end of things. $150/yr for permit/vending license, and nothing can be prepared in a home kitchen. The good news is that they maintain a list of local commercial kitchens that are available to use, free of charge (churches, VFW's, etc) so that will be the route I take for now.

So here is my to-do list and looking for feedback to see if I am missing anything:

- Attend local Servsafe class and become a qualified food operator. $180
- Submit paperwork to establish LLC - $120
- Fine tune menu and portion sizes, costs, etc.
- Obtain state/local business license and tax id number
- Obtain liability insurance umbrella policy
- Establish social media presence (Facebook/Twitter)

I already have a soft booking for a wedding reception next June so I will have a couple months to learn how to run the Shirley Fab after taking delivery.

My goals are to eventually develop enough of an income so that my wife doesn't have to work as much. Establishing the LLC is to prevent personal liability and shield personal assets. Liability policy is just a damn good idea in our litigious society, and doesn't cost all that much.

So what am I not thinking about?

see if I am missing anything:

- Attend local Servsafe class and become a qualified food operator. $180

That seems a little steep.

You can take test and get licensed online through ServSafe for $15. The Food Handler Guide is $45 if you want to study up for the test.

The local health district doesn't recognize the online Servsafe cert - I asked.

Good Luck, hard smart work can pay off. Give it all ya got!!

For those of you that are accepting credit card payments, what software are you using? I'm thinking of using Square and an iPad. 2.75% per transaction with no monthly fees seems reasonable.

Thoughts?

i use square and a tablet or iphone. i like it. its easy. it has reports you can run etc. that being said i have not really researched other options.

We use a clover mini. Linked up to the business account. Built in printer and chip reader. Personally the card readers plugged into a phone make me a little uneasy as is the case when someone doesn't have a receipt printer.

I've been using square for a couple years- no issues.

Back