Removing Weber Porcelain Enamel

Bamasmokin

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Do you guys know if the porcelain enamel can be removed from the Weber kettle lids? I'm hoping to have the current UDS I'm building powdercoated but I have to remove all the paint before doing so. I thought about taking it to a sand blasting place but was curious if you guys knew if it was possible before I did so. I fear they're going to say all we can do is try and end up ruining the finish attempting to remove it. No big deal I guess as i have extras but I'd hate to waste one. If it can't be removed I may just leave it be.

Not sure about your question, but generally porcelain is more durable than powdercoating. Other than making color match why wouldn't you leave it for the durability?

Color match is the primary reason. It's also pretty scratched up so was hoping to just strip and have it powder coated with the rest of the drum.

That stuff is tough!!! Sandblasting might be your only choice or a flap disk. It'll take a while but i guess it's doable.

Porcelain enamel is essentially glass that has been melted onto the metal. It surpasses every type of pigment based paint in terms of heat resistance. It is brittle and can chip if a dropped but it's gonna be a bear to remove.

Just scuff it up with some 150 grit paper and spray it. Did that with mine and all is good.
f5c353248751cee372a05e7e6564a89b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just scuff it up with some 150 grit paper and spray it. Did that with mine and all is good.

X2

I tried welding part of a kettle bowl to some mild steel. That sucked. Removing the porcelain was not a good idea. Flap disks won't do it. Sandpaper & files won't do it. Grinding wheels won't do it. Couldn't get the metal clean & the welds were a nightmare. Sandblasting MIGHT work, but I wouldn't bother.

I guess I'll just take it to the sand blasting place and see what they say. I'd rather not spray paint. If I can't powder coat I'll just leave it black. My buddy has a powder coating booth and I really like the look of powder coating.

I may source another lid that is in good shape. I think the black lid would look good on the crimson drum. I have several but they're all pretty rough.

Thanks Matt. I'll try to find them.

I have an alert set for 'weber' on Craigslist but do not see many kettles posted. Mostly gassers.

Hey Bamasmokin,

I found a video a few years of ago of a guy doing a UDS build and he did a really good job. Eventually he found a way to remove the porcelain coating but it was a slow process using a center-punch. Here's one of the video's where he's using the center punch to remove the porcelain. I timestamped it so it should take you to where he's doing it, but if not, it should be at about 9:30 in this video.

[ame]https://youtu.be/oHWEBDy80Hk?t=570[/ame]

If the drum falls over is it roll over tide ha ha go bucks

Back