Hold and transport wings witout getting soggy?

jdefran

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm participating in a friendly rib cook off and will also grill wings to account for additional mouths to feed.

I can either cook at home and transport or bring my large kettle and cook on site. Cooking at home is ideal but I'm concerned that holding in pans and placing in cooler will result in soggy wings, especially since a majority will be sauced.

Any suggestions?

I'm participating in a friendly rib cook off and will also grill wings to account for additional mouths to feed.

I can either cook at home and transport or bring my large kettle and cook on site. Cooking at home is ideal but I'm concerned that holding in pans and placing in cooler will result in soggy wings, especially since a majority will be sauced.

Any suggestions?

I, for one, would be cooking on site.

I guess a big piece of the puzzle is how are you planning on cooking the wings? Just smoke, smoke and sear, smoke and fry, fry only?

I'd think you'd be fine as long as you weren't involving a fryer off site. Related: if you can, maybe you could smoke offsite and then finish them for two minutes in a fryer onsite?

He mentioned a large kettle...

To be fair he mentioned cooking at home OR bringing his large kettle on site. I wasn't sure if he'd be cooking on the same device at home and what his methods were for cooking them.

Thank you for pointing that out. I would be solely cooking on kettle regardless of location.

To be fair he mentioned cooking at home OR bringing his large kettle on site. I wasn't sure if he'd be cooking on the same device at home and what his methods were for cooking them.

I took the time to read his entire post and noticed that, prior to mentioning the kettle, he said he would "grill wings"...so I rolled with that. :-D
As I said before...if I were grilling wings, I would do them on site.

Last edited:
I took the time to read his entire post and noticed that, prior to mentioning the kettle, he said he would "grill wings"...so I rolled with that. :-D
As I said before...if I were grilling wings, I would do them on site.

You're right, I'm wrong. Great advice.

grill on site and serve. you'll wind up with rubbery skin if you try to hold and serve off site.

Yup.. agree... Transport g cooked with gs will make for mushy wings. Cookem on site..

Save time on site by doing both. Cook them most of the way at home, transport, then throw on hot grill for 10 mins to crisp back up. Kind of like how you firm brisket and ribs back up after foiling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Save time on site by doing both. Cook them most of the way at home, transport, then throw on hot grill for 10 mins to crisp back up. Kind of like how you firm brisket and ribs back up after foiling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That could work... Thanks for the insight.

Back