• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trying to build a decent knife collection.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Mods, not sure if this is the right place to post ....

Ever since I got serious about backyard BBQ a few years back, I've been trying to improve my equipment. The WSM changed my world along with accurate thermometers. Would bring in some good Q and proceed to hack it to pieces with dull knifes we had for years. A Friend suggested that we upgrade.

Started a couple of years back with a couple of Kerocera ceramics. They have helped alot but still not there. Went with a starter set of Henckels and a wood block. Hope to fill it about $1000 later. :doh:

I'm seeing the importance of good knifes and BBQ. Still learning.

5v0wwi.jpg

35m3wh2.jpg

I'm looking to do the same. The only decent knife I have is my 14" Forschner Slicer. I am mainly looking at Wusthoff, Henckel and Forschner/Victorinox. The problem is figuring out which one.

I asked for 3 victoronix for Christmas! We only have a set of kitchen aid that have been abused pretty good. I hope to get the slicer, chef, and pairing knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at Global same price range as high end Henkels but I think they are balanced better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have several knives listed and one of my favorites is a Furi. I first saw this knife on a TV show with Rachal Ray. It is a great knife and is in the $50 range. I love it and use it more than the Wuhstoff's and Henckel's. It is soo sharp and easy to sharpen.

Global are good, thinner blades, and the handles will rotate in your hand if you use torsion and don't have the pinch grip locked.

Since you got the Henckel's you may want to keep wid euro knives since the angles between em and Asian knives are different if you're gonna go wid buying a sharpener or learnin how to do that manually (the ceramic Kyos don't count since you can't sharpen them yourself anyhow). The French Sabatiers are also a good value if you can find an older one which used to be hand forged. Forschner are good for stamped mass produced ones. Carbon steels hold an edge but you got commit to the upkeep.

Definitely a large slicer, 12 or 14 inches.

I also like a butcher (8"), breaking (6") or scimitar (10" or 12") for working with raw meat.

I also like small skinning type blades (3") for detail work.

Sabatiers: Be careful and inspect thoroughly.
They are usually faulty in some way, angles or gaps, or just slightly off centre.
Good steel, the crafting tho is a bit dodgy.

I've had that style of Henckel for 10 years. They are great knives, but that handle style (edges) wears on you pretty quickly for extended cutting chores.

the globals or macs or shuns are asian knives can be made "western style" depending on the tang and handle, but they are still sharpened at the traditional 18-22 degree. so just because an asian-manufactured knife looks "western" doesn't mean it is.

if looking domestic, supposedly chicago cutlery is good. though again would look for some old new stock type deal at goodwill or some needle in the haystack way for a forged in usa one.

for chinese cleavers and such, i have a couple of CCK treasures including the pigkiller that are priceless to me.

bottomline is you get nice knives you also have to get nice way to sharpen them. no shame in using an chef's choice machine.

If you're serious, I'd buy the book: An Edge in the Kitchen, by Chad Ward. Have added a few since reading it, and everything he says is spot on and well supported. Great resource.

FWIW, I laid down the coin and bought a Mac MTH-80 (one of his recommendations), and it's my every day kitchen knife and I love it. Also recommend the Messermeister line for great value for outdoor cooking.

amen, macs and globals are tied as best all around mass produced knives in my book. global are supposedly better balanced, but their metal grip looks funky to me.

Thanks for the great feedback Friends. I talked with a Friend that recommended the Henckels. He knew I did not want to mortgage the farm over this gig and set me on a lifetime set of knifes. Not too much and not too little.

I have the Wusthof & block wedding present set in the kitchen - very nice, very expensive. But when I need a knife that can actually cut something - ohhh, like a marshmallow for example, then grab my knife roll loaded with crazy sharp Forschners.

You can spend $130 on a Wusthof 8" Chefs marshmallow masher, or spend $40 on a Forschner 8" chefs knife that you can actually get some work done with.

Thanks for the great feedback Friends. I talked with a Friend that recommended the Henckels. He knew I did not want to mortgage the farm over this gig and set me on a lifetime set of knifes. Not too much and not too little.

Don't forget to buy a Rapala filet knife for use as a flexible boning knife.:shock: Can't do much betta.:wink::tape:

Back