Figure it Out BEFORE You Buy....

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Do you wanna burn Charcoal or Wood? Not to pick on anyone in particular but I see A lot of guys on here , on other forum and on Youtube Buy a Wood Burning Offset Smokers then they want to make them run on Charcoal. It don't work like that - if you want a Charcoal Smoker BUY a Charcoal Smoker - UDS, WSM, PBC- Cabinet Smoker EtC. If you BUY a WOOD BURNER then PLAN on Burning WOOD. :shock:

Ya some Fellars have gotten some offsets to run Good on Charcoal n Wood Chunks in a Basket but that's not the norm.

Do ask yourself if you have access to Wood or Do you want to have to buy Wood by the 1/4 cord , 1/2 cord or cord, Is there any a wood to buy around me and do I wanna tend a fire every 45 minutes? If you answer no to any of those Questions don't buy an Offset. :wink:

If you do decide you can buy/ get wood and like tending a fire then make sure your post your buy and mods and cooks with plenty of pics!!! :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Great post. I have to ask. What was the straw that broke your back? Or was this just a random thought that you wanted to share?
I feel that there is more to the story.

Offsets are well worth the work - my 2 cents. But Smitty is right, know u want it before you buy it, else u just won't be happy in the long run.

Oh and as far as I am concerned there are no better pits to smoke brisket, sausage or yard bird on.....

I've just seen a lot of guys lately - not just here- asking how to maintain temp in an offset and they aren't burning any wood.............:loco: I'm not upset I just find it strange..........

It's like buying a Big Badarse Diesel Pickup but trying to run it on Unleaded cuz it's Cheaper and Easier to Get.............:twitch:

I just went ahead on bought a 1/2 Ton Gas Engine pickup cuz I knew I didn't wanna mess with Diesel. :thumb:

I've just seen a lot of guys lately - not just here- asking how to maintain temp in an offset and they aren't burning any wood.............:loco: I'm not upset I just find it strange..........

Got ya. They call it a stickburner for a reason.

I've gotta say, the difference in the end product is far superior IMHO. I have been amazed at the comparison between my Offset and the Kamado and the OTG. I do agree with Toast though, the simplicity of my Kamado and its ability to maintain temps for a long period of time is a major plus for those not able to dedicate the time to burning sticks.
The other consideration is cost. I go through a lot of splits for a single cook. I have to consider which cooker to use based on the quaanity of the meats I am going to cook. No matter the cost, I will never do another brisket in anything other than my offset, just saying.

Why can't a person use charcoal in their offset?? It's theirs to use however. If someone wants to do a long cook and let's just say they have twins who may need some of their attention and don't have the time to feed it wood all day.

Not being argumentive, but a lot of folks have success using charcoal and chunks.

Why can't a person use charcoal in their offset?? It's theirs to use however. If someone wants to do a long cook and let's just say they have twins who may need some of their attention and don't have the time to feed it wood all day.

Not being argumentive, but a lot of folks have success using charcoal and chunks.

I didn't say they couldn't - In fact I said some do (it's posted above I promise) but 99% of time I see someone having trouble with offset temps they are trying to run on charcoal and once someone tells them to run some splits on charcoal coals they come back and say "Eow running wood in a Wood burner works good.....thanks" . :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I can and I do. If that is what you need to accomplish multitasking its not a problem, You will not get the same results in the end as you do with wood. I have a charcoal basket and I use it by stating my fire with about 5 lbs of lump to get a nice coal bed down then start feeding splits. I could continue to load charcoal but I like the flavor of the seasoned wood.

I can and I do. If that is what you need to accomplish multitasking its not a problem, You will not get the same results in the end as you do with wood. I have a charcoal basket and I use it by stating my fire with about 5 lbs of lump to get a nice coal bed down then start feeding splits. I could continue to load charcoal but I like the flavor of the seasoned wood.

Exactly- you feed it splits- most guys burn charcoal then add splits- I'm talking just using charcoal n chunks like a UDS or straight charcoal- works for some guys but not most - esp Newbs.

I think offsets produce a little better BBQ cuz they burn more Wood. And in my Opinion offsets perform best feeding them splits (wether or not you started with a bed of charcoal coals) not on Charcoal and Chunks in a basket, so why buy something and not run it like its designed to and the way it runs best? to me Offset run Best on Splits and Charcoal Smokers Run Best on Charcoal........an offset running on Charcoal n Chunks ain't no better than a UDS or WSM (and I''d be willing to say not as Good ):shocked: And I have cooked on both as a few of my Buddy are stickburner or nuttin guys.

I've even seen some Guys post "I don't mind tending a fire but I can't get/buy any wood around here...." That would be something to Think about BEFORE they Buy......:twitch:

If you can get good temps/results in an Offset running a Charcoal Basket with Chunks then I'm not gonna tell you you are doing it wrong - but if you are having trouble maintaining Temps running charcoal or charcoal n chunks then I'm gonna say " you probally should be burning some splits on top of that charcoal." :amen:

Last edited:
I stand to beg a difference of opinion here. With the proper guidance, technique, and fuel choices... it can be possible and practical in circumstances.
I do have the option between wood or charcoal.

The latter becomes self evident once an offset is lit and in constant use for multiple days remaining hot in succession during OBR emergency response sites.

While I prefer to burn sticks in my offset (both with and without a charcoal bed), I have no problem using charcoal and chunks. I get plenty of heat and good temp control. I do have a charcoal basket, and I think that is necessary to get a proper burn. It really is a matter of convenience sometimes. I'll take it one step further and admit to the fact that when I do burn charcoal as a standalone fuel it is KBB.

Back