Figure it Out BEFORE You Buy....

@SmittyJonz - great timing on the bump. I have been thinking about upgrading from my 22.5 kettle, and wrestling with the decision between an offset or cabinet style smoker. Thinking offset and was actually on my way to Costco yesterday to pickup the Bayou Classic @BabyBack Manic reviewed a few weeks ago, then had second thoughts about sourcing/storing wood and the constantly needing to tend the fire part. I actually enjoy that, just don't always have the time...

Now I am back to thinking the cabinet style (Backwoods, Humphrey's or the like) is the way to go; at least for now...

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I found it very helpful.

Last edited:
Great advice. I've always toyed with the idea of getting an offset, but I really wouldn't use it often enough to justify having it. It's too "inefficient" for small volumes of meat, which is what I cook 99% of the time. Add to that the cost/pia factor for sourcing good smoke wood here (I live right down the street from an apple orchard, but they sell out of wood the first 2 days of the season they're open), and it all points to sticking with vertical/charcoal. If I ever need to upgrade, it'll be to a PBC for the added capacity.

If my Wife and I become popular again, I'll revisit the option :p

I Like having both a Stickburner and a Charcoal Smoker - 2 different smokers. So I have options depending what's going on or can run both for Large Cooks.

I Like having both a Stickburner and a Charcoal Smoker - 2 different smokers. So I have options depending what's going on or can run both for Large Cooks.

I probably should have framed my commentary above along the lines of "...wrestling with which type to get first..."

I'd love to add a stick burner to my arsenal. The problem is I don't have the patio space for it. So, it's going to be charcoal for the foreseeable future.

I'd love to add a stick burner to my arsenal. The problem is I don't have the patio space for it. So, it's going to be charcoal for the foreseeable future.

Ain't you got a driveway........

Or just get yourself an M1 and burn wood or charcoal. :wink:

With a full basket of charcoal you get around 4-6 hours of smoke times between refuels.

For wood only, load a split every 1-2 hours between refuels.

The M1 is a stick burner, charcoal smoker, and fully adjustable charcoal grill. It's small footprint is perfect for smaller patio spaces. There is nothing like it!

Available at BigPoppaSmokers.com and MGrills.com

plus...AmazingRibs.com Best Value Multi-Function Grill and Smoker 2 Years in a Row!

SmittyJonz, that image of your driveway. It's like the 3 dark villains in superman standing shoulder to shoulder like a phalanx. Art I tell you!!

so the way i've been running my (diy) stick burner is i'll start with lighting a chimney of charcoal (usually lump). it works, but man is it expensive. especially because half the bag is usually pieces too small to stay in the chimney so it just gets wasted. Do any of you guys have a cheaper way to light it? I use a small torch to light the charcoal, but it won't light whole splits. I have to use kindling. And I can't find kindling that's any cheaper than charcoal. Are y'all just cutting kindling out of some of your splits? or are you sourcing kindling somewhere?

I use small sticks and branches from my yard to start my stick burner. No charcoal at all. A bundle of newspaper, sticks piled in top with a shot of canola oil. Lights right up then throw 4 or 5 oak splits on and let them burn down for a nice bed of coals.

My yard is full of trees and it's all woods behind me so wood is easy to come by. Either cut all my own splits or other people gI've them to me. Never pay for them.

I use food grade wax firestarters and a box of 100 goes for 22 bucks on amazon. Just to get the thing roaring like a weed burner would, I line 4 up in a row so it burns like a big wick that'll light my big beastly post oak

I bet if you put Michael Moore in there you had a great fire with all that fat

Thanks for bumping this thread Smitty! With all the Bandera hysteria I didn't realize all the things to think about with a stickburner. I could probably get wood fairly cheap here in central FL, but don't really have a place to store it. Also I don't have the time to devote to babysitting a stickburner during the cook. Guess I'll stick with the kettle for the time being!

Thanks for bumping this thread Smitty! With all the Bandera hysteria I didn't realize all the things to think about with a stickburner. I could probably get wood fairly cheap here in central FL, but don't really have a place to store it. Also I don't have the time to devote to babysitting a stickburner during the cook. Guess I'll stick with the kettle for the time being!

But you won't have a cool picture of wiping the sweat off your brow while tending fires like Aaron Franklin!

But you won't have a cool picture of wiping the sweat off your brow while tending fires like Aaron Franklin!

When I've got a better place to store wood and house the smoker out of the elements I definitely want to get one. For right now it's just a bit much.

Babysitting a stick burner does not have to be an onerous as some make it sound. You do not have to sit by it every blessed minute begging and coaxing it "act right" or to get the full wood fired experience. Some do and love it- I'd rather go inside. After getting it rolling, I feed it a stick about every 40 minutes.

I have a UDS- I love it for what it is- and it turns out fine product. But the taste off my vertical is better. I don't keep much wood- so I'm reluctant to burn 12- 14 splits for a single rack of ribs. Small cook- drum. 2 racks + full of meat to cook- vertical.

Babysitting a stick burner does not have to be an onerous as some make it sound. You do not have to sit by it every blessed minute begging and coaxing it "act right" or to get the full wood fired experience. Some do and love it- I'd rather go inside. After getting it rolling, I feed it a stick about every 40 minutes.

That's good to know. The deciding factor for me is the access to and ability to store the wood. I do enjoy playing with fire, and look forward to one day cooking this way.

Back