• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM Extender

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I know that Pro Q makes (made?) an extender for the 18", but I don't see it around here at competitions. I've also never seen an extender for the 22".

Does that seem odd to anyone else? The WSM is the most popular smoker out there and yet I don't see many after market accessories for them.

I have someone making an extender for the 22" for me custom, but I'm surprised that there not out there commercially.

I'd also buy a 'chute' like device to slide charcoal in during a cook. Some sort of 1/2 cylindrical tube sorta thing.

Would other WSM users be interested in stuff like this?

BTW, I saw on another site that someone is using a one piece funnel w/ hose that you use for transmission fluid for the water pan on the WSM. Good idea and costs under $5.00.

Eric

Hi,

I know that Pro Q makes (made?) an extender for the 18", but I don't see it around here at competitions. I've also never seen an extender for the 22".

Does that seem odd to anyone else? The WSM is the most popular smoker out there and yet I don't see many after market accessories for them.

I have someone making an extender for the 22" for me custom, but I'm surprised that there not out there commercially.

What about this? http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/

I'd also buy a 'chute' like device to slide charcoal in during a cook. Some sort of 1/2 cylindrical tube sorta thing.

Hmmmmmm I never reload my wsm's , ever heard of the "minion method" ?

Would other WSM users be interested in stuff like this?

BTW, I saw on another site that someone is using a one piece funnel w/ hose that you use for transmission fluid for the water pan on the WSM. Good idea and costs under $5.00.

I haven't used water in years( stoker doesn't need water, without stoker I use sand ) but when I did I just opened the to lid and poured thru the two grates with a picture. I think after a few uses and some libations involved I see a plastic funnel melted permanently to my wsm:icon_blush:

Eric

If you can utilize the minion method to get you through the night at an event like last years WilliePallooza, clearly you have this mastered.

I'll look into the rotisserie, thanks.

Eric

Oh, and I forgot: yawn

Eric, When I first got my 22 I tried the Smoke-EZ on top of the 22. I think I had to use the kettle lid if memory serves me correct.

I guess I am a little confused since I don't have a WSM. Isn't the whole point of the door to allow you access to refuel or add water?

So Sled,

You do not use water or sand with your WSM when using the Stoker? Do you leave the water pan in?

"I haven't used water in years( stoker doesn't need water, without stoker I use sand ) but when I did I just opened the to lid and poured thru the two grates with a picture. I think after a few uses and some libations involved I see a plastic funnel melted permanently to my wsm"

Just curious...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

With my Gurus I put some wadded up foil balls in the water pan, then cover it in foil.

Are you happy with the results...I guess so because you are doing it...
advantage over water, sand...?

I also Guru... Does it help with chicken?

Thanks,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I guess I am a little confused since I don't have a WSM. Isn't the whole point of the door to allow you access to refuel or add water?

Yes, but there's not much wiggle room. The distance between the bottom of the water pan and the charcoal grate with the ring is pretty narrow. If I was using a 'chute' sorta thing, I can place the end in the middle of the charcoal ring and then slide the new coals right into place. Otherwise, it's a pain getting them anywhere but the edges closest to the door.

It's not a big deal by any stretch, as you can simply use a stick to push the coals over, but it would be cool.

Eric

Eric-

I was cooking a one day "lite cook" comp earlier this year and a VP of Marketing for Weber came by to drop off some goodies to all the teams, and was shocked to see the collection of modded Weber's from myself and Family Man BBQ. Chris had a couple of his Smoker Joe Tamale pot mods, I had one of my Drum Smokers painted Red with a matching Weber lid, the Cajun Bandit Weber kettle conversion, and a 22" WSM with the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Ring. We gave him an earful of some of the shortcomings of some of their products, and how these aftermarket products and Mods enhanced the cookers. He was genuinely impressed with what we had, but admitted that he was unaware of any of the products we had or others I hipped him to. I was really surprised to hear that! He took pics of our equipment with his I-phone and laughed "wait until the Attorney's see this!" Gas grills are their focus.

The doors of the new WSM's are designed to act as a coal chute. I'm with Sled-no need for water or adding fuel during a cook. Not interested in a chute or water can.

If you are into rotisserie cooking (which I am) the Cajun Bandit ring is the way to go!

interesting, i was not aware of the door being intended as a chute also.

i have what i think is the newest incarnation of the WSM 22. it is an AA. the door appears to be the same as my earlier model, an AE, i think.

i will have to look when i get home to see if the doors are different and the new one could function as a chute.

as an aside, at a comp, i start my first WSM 22 @ 8PM, full load of stubbs, by 5A the next morning, if i need it to keep going, it is necessary to refuel.

i typically take the middle section with the lid on off, rake the remaining coals into a chimney, dump all the ash and reload with fresh coal.

a chute would be much, much, easier.

oh, and plus a million, no water.

i see. yeah both of mine have that "hinge".

wouldn't consider putting ANY weight on it though.

I just take the door off, turn is sideways a bit to fit into the opening and dump charcoal so it slides into the charcoal ring. Then just put the door back on. Simple enough.

Besides propping the door open a bit, has anyone been able to run their WSM at 300F for any significant period of time(4 hours or so)? I have been able to get it there it just doesn't hold that temp for much more than an hour before consuming the fuel and dropping down to 275F at best. I've thought of stacking another charcoal ring and grate on top of the existing one but am concerned the ash would smother the bottom layer of charcoal. Anyone out there try this before? Oh, and i don't use water either just a couple of foiled bricks in the pan and cover the pan with foil.

interesting, i was not aware of the door being intended as a chute also.

i have what i think is the newest incarnation of the WSM 22. it is an AA. the door appears to be the same as my earlier model, an AE, i think.

Probably not an AE as that would be a 2019 model. :shocked:
A DE or an AD is what you would have.

If I need to refuel, I just use an old, small coal shovel, or a tiny spade shovel. Lay the charcoal bag in it's side, and shovel fresh fuel in through the door.

If using water in the pan and it needs to be replenished, I use a 1 gallon apple juice container and a piece of PVC that fits over the mouth. Insert the end of the pipe through the door above the lower grate, pour water from the jug through the pipe into the water pan.

Easy Peasy.

I just take the door off, turn is sideways a bit to fit into the opening and dump charcoal so it slides into the charcoal ring. Then just put the door back on. Simple enough.

Besides propping the door open a bit, has anyone been able to run their WSM at 300F for any significant period of time(4 hours or so)? I have been able to get it there it just doesn't hold that temp for much more than an hour before consuming the fuel and dropping down to 275F at best. I've thought of stacking another charcoal ring and grate on top of the existing one but am concerned the ash would smother the bottom layer of charcoal. Anyone out there try this before? Oh, and i don't use water either just a couple of foiled bricks in the pan and cover the pan with foil.

Mine will hold 350 for quite a while with all three bottom vents wide open. Never timed it, but I'd guess 2-3hrs at least. This is with a full load of kingsford blue and about 30 light coals for minion method. Takes a while to get to that temp though.

Back