Question for those who use pans for meat in smoker

WHS88

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up some steam pans to use in my smoker along with some footed racks to suspend the meat. Mostly wanting to minimize clean up. My question is what depth pans are you guys using. I was thinking either 1 1/2" or 2" pans. Can't think of a reason to use a full depth pan. Am thinking I would buy stainless pans and line them with foil for the cooks. Afraid of the chance of disposable pans getting a hole in them during the cook. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on how much you're cooking at once. In the BGE I use a paella pan that's about 2" and it has more than enough capacity. The less deep, the better for airflow, so it's a tradeoff.

Depends on how much you're cooking at once. In the BGE I use a paella pan that's about 2" and it has more than enough capacity. The less deep, the better for airflow, so it's a tradeoff.

My smoker shelves hold a full size steam pan, so that's what I was going to use. I totally agree with your comment about less depth, more airflow which is why I was looking at 1 1/2"-2" pans. The pans would never have more than two butts, one brisket or two racks of ribs at a time.

I have only used the disposable pans from Costco (cheaper that way). I will put a single pan on the bottom rack and the butt(s) above it on the top rack. When the butts are done will place them in the pan with the juices then place the pan into a clean disposable pan. Never had one leak or break. The clean pan protects the counter tops from the smoke and everything gets tossed when I'm done.

Smoke is airborne so I do not think the depth of the pan matters. Gasses go everywhere.

Raising the meat even a bit off the bottom makes a difference because depending on the amount of rendered liquid you will not be forming bark on the bottom side. I don't find this much of an issue though as the bark I am looking for on brisket is the top of the flat for slices. I do use a technique to raise the money muscle out of the juices for additional bark on my shoulders, but only when competing.

I have only used the disposable pans from Costco (cheaper that way). I will put a single pan on the bottom rack and the butt(s) above it on the top rack. When the butts are done will place them in the pan with the juices then place the pan into a clean disposable pan. Never had one leak or break. The clean pan protects the counter tops from the smoke and everything gets tossed when I'm done.

That's pretty much what I've been doing so far. I really don't wind up with much of a mess. Probably takes me 30 min to clean up after a cook. I may be creating work for myself with the pans! However, due to how my smoker is configured (I have a drop in water pan) I have to use a shelf to put my disposable pan under the meat. If I'm doing a bigger cook, I don't have room for the pan. Last time I did a big cook, I lined my water pan with foil and used it as a drip pan. Worked pretty good as I didn't have much of a mess once I dumped the pan and removed the foil. Just trying to see what others do.

I've cooked with a single full size disposable pan (above the waterpan) on the bottom rack to catch all the rendered fat and drippings when the smoker is full of meat.

I've also used half size pans with a raised grate for smaller cooks. Never had any of the pans leak.

I recently went to stainless steam table pans with a food-safe liner rated to cooking temperatures of 400° with the raised rack inside the liner.

Why you ask? a disposable pan can cost anywhere from 25 cents to 30 cents each and if you buy in cases, they take up a lot of room. The food-safe pan liners cost me 9 cents each and make the task of clean up even easier and they take us so little space.

I've cooked with a single full size disposable pan (above the waterpan) on the bottom rack to catch all the rendered fat and drippings when the smoker is full of meat.

I've also used half size pans with a raised grate for smaller cooks. Never had any of the pans leak.

I recently went to stainless steam table pans with a food-safe liner rated to cooking temperatures of 400° with the raised rack inside the liner.

Why you ask? a disposable pan can cost anywhere from 25 cents to 30 cents each and if you buy in cases, they take up a lot of room. The food-safe pan liners cost me 9 cents each and make the task of clean up even easier and they take us so little space.

I like the idea of the food safe liners. You mind sharing where you get them for 9 cents? Quick look online and I didn't see anything that cheap. Any secrets to keeping the black smoke coating off of the outside of the pans?

You may find as you head down this path, as I have, that you will want a couple different sizes and depths. I have full size pans, half, and some 2/3rds in both 2 and 4" depth. I love pans for food prep and rubs etc....so much easier moving stuff around and clean up. I use them all time in the kitchen for a variety of things and don't remember what I did without them. I have used both 2 and 4 " to cook. And if you ever find a cambro cheap, which you can, you have a great setup for holding.

I have the disposable and the ss pans. I use cowgirl's foil ball trick to get the meat higher in the pan. I prefer the disposable for convenience and never had one leak. The ss pans take up a lot of space in the dishwasher. I'm interested in the liners too.

I have been using full size aluminum cookie sheet pans with a raised rack to do my pork butts on and the work really well.

I cook on a uds and don't use pans but Myron Mixon claimed in his book that he cooks everything in a pan.

I like the idea of the food safe liners. You mind sharing where you get them for 9 cents? Quick look online and I didn't see anything that cheap. Any secrets to keeping the black smoke coating off of the outside of the pans?

I purchased these from a local restaurant supplier in 1000 per case a few years ago. But checking online, webstaurantstore http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/half-size-pan-liner.html has them in pack of 100 for 16 cents each, still not a bad price. The next time I order, I would use these, 1000 is just too many to have on hand.

As far as the ugly black coating: The liner is long enough to be tucked under the pan, but it still gets discolored. I have pans for serving and I have pans that I use only in the smoker and yes they still get discolored. If I am serving from the pan in the smoker, I just nest into another serving pan, this helps insulate while carrying to the chafer and no one sees the discoloration underneath. If it's a small gathering, then I just leave the pan nested inside a clean one.

When I want to restore the stainless to a clean luster, I simply spray them with an oven cleaner for about 15 minutes and put them into the dishwasher and they look like new.

I purchased these from a local restaurant supplier in 1000 per case a few years ago. But checking online, webstaurantstore http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/half-size-pan-liner.html has them in pack of 100 for 16 cents each, still not a bad price. The next time I order, I would use these, 1000 is just too many to have on hand.

As far as the ugly black coating: The liner is long enough to be tucked under the pan, but it still gets discolored. I have pans for serving and I have pans that I use only in the smoker and yes they still get discolored. If I am serving from the pan in the smoker, I just nest into another serving pan, this helps insulate while carrying to the chafer and no one sees the discoloration underneath. If it's a small gathering, then I just leave the pan nested inside a clean one.

When I want to restore the stainless to a clean luster, I simply spray them with an oven cleaner for about 15 minutes and put them into the dishwasher and they look like new.

Looks like I've got something to try out! I dislike how flimsy the disposable pans are for a packer or cooking two pork butts at a time so I double the pans each time I cook those which of course cost more $$$. This may be just the trick! Thanks IMM.

Looks like I've got something to try out! I dislike how flimsy the disposable pans are for a packer or cooking two pork butts at a time so I double the pans each time I cook those which of course cost more $$$. This may be just the trick! Thanks IMM.

Full size liners cost a little more, but in the end I think it's still much cheaper than the foil pans. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/full-size-deep-steam-table-nylon-pan-liner-50-box/5723418%20%20%20%20%2050.html

In lots of 50 they are about 36 cents each, in lots of 200 they are 28 cents each. If they work well for you maybe others near you can split an order.

I also use them in deep pans when I make sausage (during mixing) and marinating. It's just too simple to clean up when you are done.

BTW they also have bus pan liners which are much heavier (1.5 mil) and are great when mixing large amounts of meat in a bus tub or even when apply rub on a large quantity of meats using a bus tub. Just lift the liner out and the mess is gone and your prep pan is just as clean as when you started. They just can't take the heat of cooking.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/Liners-for-Food-Handling-Lug-10-Pack-p/16-1024.htm

.51 a piece for the aluminum pans vs. .38 a piece for the liners based on prices on that site @ 50 count each.

I like the idea of the sturdiness of a real steam pan (stainless steel). I just never used them because of the clean-up involved.

I think if I invest in a few more of those non-disposable pans and go this route that I will save in the long-run and minimize the chances of losing a brisket or shoulder going into the cambro etc. AND make the clan-up even easier because going into the sink with some of the fats/liquids is something I've worried about.

In your experience are those liners pretty heavy-duty in terms of not tearing too easily?

In your experience are those liners pretty heavy-duty in terms of not tearing too easily?

They are made from food grade nylon like the Reynolds Turkey Roasting Bags. They actually lightly adhere themselves to the rim of the pan from the heat but peel off with ease. This helps when pouring off the drippings for fat seperation. The rack in the bottom will not rupture the bag unless you get really aggressive with it. Normal handling and movement are fine.

I like the idea of the sturdiness of a real steam pan (stainless steel). I just never used them because of the clean-up involved.

I think if I invest in a few more of those non-disposable pans and go this route that I will save in the long-run and minimize the chances of losing a brisket or shoulder going into the cambro etc. AND make the clan-up even easier because going into the sink with some of the fats/liquids is something I've worried about.

You can even test drive them in one of your existing disposable pans.

If you pm me your address, I can fit a half-sized pan liner in a regular envelope, so I'll send you a half-size to test before you actually buy the full size. At least you'll have an idea of how they work. Good for oven roasting as well.

Back