Help me with finding a grill please

N6GQ

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been reading through the forums here and trying to get a feel for what you all have tried that works - I'm looking for a new grill, after many years of cooking on charcoal in a Weber, and then a few years of cooking on gas in a half-ass grill. Its just that Weber, Broil King, etc. offer so many different models that I'm having issues getting to the point :) Here's some of the things I'm interested in:

1. Made in USA (Weber), and BK in Canada, right?
2. Great warranty (I hear BK is great here)
3. Able to grill and smoke decently (here's where I'm not too sure)
4. Enough cook surface to enteratain more than just my wife and I (so at least 3 burners I think)
5. Budget I suppose less than $1k would be nice

I'm just confused by all the different lines that each brand has. Any suggestions are appreciated - I realize this is a pretty broad question. Any review sites you can point me to?

Are you dead set on getting a gas grill? If you would consider charcoal I would recommend a 26 inch Weber Kettle. Plenty of room and you can smoke on it by cooking indirectly.

I have no experience with gas grills but I'm sure other Brethren will have some good suggestions. Best of luck finding your grill!

Solid couple choices. Besides those 2, you can get a lot more upscale in a hurry if you are a straight gas fan... there's DCS, Lynx and Napoleon also. IMO, stay away from the redundant side burner and just focus on the cooker itself.

Broil King Baron 420 would be simple basic and so would Weber Genesis.
The one thing about Weber is all the accessories. Rotisserie would be top of my list. Also, I'd get the griddle insert for breakfast, flat top burgs, fajitas, etc.

Food4 thought: You did say gas but I think you get a better tasting product and much more versatility in a kamado

Ceramic cooker will grill and smoke better than any Weber imo. If you go gas, I had a lynx and it was great, but sold that years back when I went to a ceramic kamado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, appreciated. The reason I said gas was because I just don't get a lot of time to get to this after work/family issues, so while I did like the weber I had before (kettle) it was always taking me an extra 20-30 min to get things going in order to get charcoal going. So I was willing to take a bit of a hit to bypass that step and have close to instant heat. I know, not optimal, but a compromise to get me some good grilled meat within an acceptable amount of time.

On the other hand, I would like to do some long-term smoking and in that case I imagine the charcoal/wood route is much much better. I appreciate the suggestions that I'll digest, and any more are most welcome.

Thank you,

With a charcoal chimney that will start a fire in 20 mins, take a look at the new PK360 grill.
I took delivery of mine about 2 weeks ago, and have used it about every other day. Smoked a whole chicken one day, ribs one day, hamburgers, steaks. It's large enough for most things and it does indirect cooking very well.

Are you opposed to having two grills? Maybe a smaller gas grill for quick cooks and a separate one for charcoal and wood...

Are you opposed to having two grills? Maybe a smaller gas grill for quick cooks and a separate one for charcoal and wood...

Thats an interesting thought, Jam Jam. Hadn't thought about that.

Using a BGE, I just hit the center with a propane torch for 15-20 seconds , then leave the top and bottom vents open and I can get the thing over 400 in under 10 minutes. Another 5 minutes and the thermometer is bottomed out.

Some of the Vision ceramics offer a infa red insert. That would give you both gas and charcoal.

I always preheat gas grill for at least ten minutes before cooking to get the grates hot and come up to temp. I think the time savings is minimal.
I have an old Weber Genesis that has cooked well for 19 years and I keep it primarily for quick cooks and my wife. She is not starting a charcoal fire no matter how simple I try and convince her it is.
My vote is two grills and pick up the gasser off of Craigslist. Lots of barely used gassers in my neck of the woods.

A Weber 26.75 would fit all your criteria. Add 2 or 3 fire bricks to separate coals and it is a great smoker. I've always thought if I had to choose only one of my Weber's, the 26.75 would be it.

I believe the new genesis lines are now made in china

but of course so are the kettles

Take a look at the Saber gassers. When I was replacing my old Genesis I went to a local pool/patio store that had the Weber line and the Saber line and compared them. I was very impressed with the Saber. Then, by coincidence, Larry, BBQ Grail, did a review on the Saber. I bought on the next day.

An alternative to the gasser is a pellet grill. I have a Memphis Pro that is great. They do have a couple that are in your price range, too. Quick startup and you are cooking over a wood fire.

Using a BGE, I just hit the center with a propane torch for 15-20 seconds , then leave the top and bottom vents open and I can get the thing over 400 in under 10 minutes. Another 5 minutes and the thermometer is bottomed out.

Wow - what charcoal are you using? I typically use Wicked Good in my Primo and it takes more like 1-2 minutes with a MAPP torch to get it going. But even with that slight difference, I agree I can be up and ready to cook in 10-15 minutes.

I moved from gas to ceramic and wouldn't want to go back. I grill burgers, chicken breasts, etc. on weekdays all the time. Start the fire, prep the food and the grill is ready to go.

Honestly, I found keeping propane around was a bigger hassle than charcoal: having to make a trip to take the tank in for refills vs just picking up a bag of lump at the hardware store whenever I was there.

Large BGE and a Blackstone will cook anything and everything very well. Looking at about $1200 when you get the necessary accessories.

Take a look at the Saber gassers. When I was replacing my old Genesis I went to a local pool/patio store that had the Weber line and the Saber line and compared them. I was very impressed with the Saber. Then, by coincidence, Larry, BBQ Grail, did a review on the Saber. I bought on the next day.

An alternative to the gasser is a pellet grill. I have a Memphis Pro that is great. They do have a couple that are in your price range, too. Quick startup and you are cooking over a wood fire.
FYI. Saber is made by Charbroil in China.

If you are somewhat open to the charcoal idea, I can't say enough good things about the Weber 22" Performer with gas assist (This is the kettle with the side table). You can have charcoal going in 10-15 minutes while you are prepping your food. Convenience of gas but charcoal/wood flavor.

I like them so much I have 2! :bow:

Good Luck in your search..........

Ed

If you'd like to grill or smoke an Assassin 36" charcoal grill would fit the bill.

charcoal-grills_th.jpg

I know lots of folks find charcoal to be as fast and easy as gas but that hasn't been my experience. I still use the gas grill more than anything else -- and specifically for those weeknight cooks where I don't have much time. Not easy to smoke on one though.

If you want one device that can do both reasonably well with the convenience of gas I'd second the recommendation to look at a pellet grill. Some take a while to heat up to grilling temps but others are fairly close to what you'd see with gas. Easy as pushing a button. It will smoke (and for that matter bake/roast) much better than gas. There are a number of options out there for <$1,000

If you are willing to have separate devices the options open considerably -- particularly on the smoking side.

Going back to your original post though, I have a Genesis and have been fairly happy with it. As mentioned by someone else, the new Genesis II line are made overseas rather than in the US.

Back