just visited Shirley Fabrication yesterday

R0CKYT0P

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Paul and Tyler and the rest of the guys were very nice. A buddy of mine was picking up his 24 x 42 patio smoker and I rode down with him to pick it up. I've had a deposit down since June on one that should get started in a month or two. I love seeing people who take real pride in their work and in their craft and these guys obviously do.

I'm thinking about getting a 24 x 60 patio model with the 3 shelf warmer, stainless steel shelf, 3 probe inserts, wagon wheels, and insulated firebox. I do some pretty large cooks for my church, my work, and some stuff in the community. So far, the biggest event I've done is around 130 people. I'm kicking around the idea of getting the elevated cabinet to add a 3rd shelf. It's probably overall for now for sure, but I want to future proof this Shirley as much as I can and not regret what I could have done.

I'm getting the patio model vs a trailer because most of the time it will sit at my house and I like the look of the patio model better and I need to get an enclosed trailer for another hobby (pinball machines) and thought I could move this thing around in that.

What are your thoughts on the no regrets size of Shirley to get and the configuration for someone like me?

I'd definitely go with the third shelf in the main chamber.

I also like mine to be mobile and cook on-site. The removable tongue is a wonderful thing!

I LOVE my Shirley. Really think about your future cooks and buy one appropriate sized for the biggest you'd like to be able to do.

No matter what you select you'll love it!!

I got the elevated with 3rd grate on mine as well and it's awesome(although so far I haven't needed anymore than one shelf lol. Biggest cook I've done so far was 6 14lb. turkeys for the local salvation army soup kitchen this thanksgiving.

You have time, think about it as you go along and any time a thought crosses your mind write it down and call/email Tyler or Paul. By the time the time comes you'll have your perfect for you cooker planned

Best of luck and welcome to the ever growing family of Shirley owners. It's WELL worth the wait and then some!!

A straight back with 3 main chamber shelves. All 3 grates the same dimensions. With 6 inch spacing.

straight back is the way to go. you can elevate the main chamber to add more racks so you can keep the main chamber length shorter to save space on your patio. i have 4 racks in mine but have not used more than 3.

Thank you for the help. I'll definitely go with the 3rd shelf in the main chamber. I didn't think about a removable tongue either. I'll have to check that out.

Yeah, I wish I would have went with the 3rd rack. I don't "need" it but I would have preferred just the extra space, but that's just purely my "want" :)

I would get the elevated cabinet and get a shoter in lenghth build . I got the 24 X 60 and you can fit a but load of meat and have never had it close to being filled and do not forget you can cook just as hot in the warmer as the main chamber so that is more cooking room . People say always go bigger but i wish i would of bought a little bit smaller unit and would still have alot of cooking capacity .

Just for a visual. 30X70 Shirley but not a straight back, so the 2 lower grates are close to the same depth but not the top grate.
40 babyback racks of ribs. :mrgreen:

I did a 24x75 elevated straight back with 3 shelves in the main chamber and also a elevated warmer with 4 shelves. I will never need all that space but I love having it.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 678
Straight back and elevates with 3 shelves gives any size a ton more room. Big meats can easily go on all 3 levels. I also had extra rack sliders put in mine to give even more rack arrangement. On mine if I put 2 racks on the 1st (bottom) and 4th level I could easily get 2 hogs in there :becky:.

Probably overkill, but I have filled mine multiple times and smaller cooks can always be done in the warmer. Take some time to genuinely think about how much space you need, but again adding that 3rd level in an elevated gives a lot more options and space for any sized SF

Straight back and elevates with 3 shelves gives any size a ton more room. Big meats can easily go on all 3 levels. I also had extra rack sliders put in mine to give even more rack arrangement. On mine if I put 2 racks on the 1st (bottom) and 4th level I could easily get 2 hogs in there :becky:.

Probably overkill, but I have filled mine multiple times and smaller cooks can always be done in the warmer. Take some time to genuinely think about how much space you need, but again adding that 3rd level in an elevated gives a lot more options and space for any sized SF

What Jason said.....I did for mine....makes it more versatile. Straight back cabinet with extra shelf is the way to go.

Have not seen the new shop yet, but that will change soon! Just for reference I do a lot of big cooks my RF is 24X72 (cooking grates max out at 54") and my experience is I hit the wall at 100-125 folks. To me is sounds like your volume warrants a 3 shelf 70".

I have a 30x75 Straightback and have yet to run into the problem of not having enough cooking space. Buy what you can afford or are comfortable with. Its a once in a lifetime purchase :)

It looks like you are right down the road from me. You can come by anytime and take a look at mine if you want to get ideas. Also, since the Shirley's are sponsoring the Smoke on the Shores BBQ Competition in March, there will be some their units on-site for folks to look at.

That's a good idea on the extra rack sliders. I really appreciate all the input and pictures. This really helps a lot.

It's getting closer to my build time. Tyler said mine was up for April.

Just curious if anyone here could give me an idea of the footprint of a 24 x 60 trailer model with the tongue removed. I know the width at the wheelbase is 53', but just curious as to the length.

I know I could ask Tyler but I've already asked a bunch of questions and don't want to wear him out.

Last edited:
I've been wearing Tyler out with questions since November 2015, and he has been very patient with all of my changes.

I went with a 30x80 elevated straight back with 3 grates, but five sets of runners. I am getting in to wedding/party catering and didn't want to have buyers remorse that I didn't get one big enough the first time.

I pick it up on 11MAR and am more anxious than a two-peckered dog.

It's getting closer to my build time. Tyler said mine was up for April.

Just curious if anyone here could give me an idea of the footprint of a 24 x 60 trailer model with the tongue removed. I know the width at the wheelbase is 53', but just curious as to the length.

I know I could ask Tyler but I've already asked a bunch of questions and don't want to ware him out.

My 24x60 was right at 12'6" in length with standard tongue. So maybe a little less with a removable.

MIne will be done next week, originally the 24 x 42 patio..ended up with the 24 x 50 elevated modified trailer. Now I need to get it out here somehow. I spent months changing in my mind what I wanted...think I future proofed it enough.

Back