• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Smoker for a Food Truck?

SmokestackP

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am beginning a food truck/trailer business and am curious if anyone has experience with smokers on a trailer. I have been looking at the Pitmaker Vault and Humphrey's Smokers and I like the vertical styles. I've also thought about smoking them at home and then transporting/finishing them on the truck. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with a smoker they prefer over the other- and I'm definitely not limiting it to these two, so please feel free to send all suggestions. Most important to me is going to be something that maintains temp with minimal supervision because I'm not planning on getting up every morning at 2, 4, 5 etc to throw coals on there! I'd like to keep it around $5k. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Smoke On!

You might want to look into one of the ole hickory cto's. I don't know about cost, but they have a propane assist so you can cook unattended. The other option would be an FEC pellet cooker.

You might want to look into one of the ole hickory cto's. I don't know about cost, but they have a propane assist so you can cook unattended. The other option would be an FEC pellet cooker.

i second the FEC, along the footprint of the ones you originally mentioned I would go with the FEC120 over the 100. I think the FEC120 and it's firepot outside of the cook chamber really is essential in a commercial environment, especially in a truck.

Thanks, guys. I'm looking into the FEC right now. Looks like it has received rave reviews.

from all that I have checked out, only the CTO and the FEC are approved for inside food trucks or trailers. You might want to look at the FEC 160 for inside use

If you are not in a hurry and can wait until Sept------go to the Rib Burn at the Nugget in Sparks, Nevada over Labor Day Weekend and observe 100's of smokers at work and talk to the people operating them. Many big names in BBQ are there and many different combos of smokers. If you want to see production---this is the place to witness it.

The CTO is a very nice option. Not sure if it fits your finances though. Good company as well.

"inside a food truck"...

will almost always need to be NSF and UL certified. Limits your options. Many guys use the electric versions.

I use a vault but I have a trailer with an enclosed porch, so a bit different than an actual truck. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have someone build me a truck, just like my trailer. Separate entrance to the "pit room". This allows me to put whatever I want back there. And mobility, if your going that route, or being forced that route by the city, is key.

Check your local laws. Where I live, the health department is very explicit that under no circumstances can food cooked at home be served to the public. Like others have said, whether you need a NSF-certified cooker varies depending on what type of license you're trying to get.

I got the BackWoods Pro Jr. It's working out really well. 10lbs of charcoal brickettes (Royal Oak commercial bricks) and a few chunks of wood will last about 12-13 hours. Charcoal such as Kingsford does not last as long. I've paired a BBQ Guru w/Pit Viper fan to the cooker.

Only real drawback with the BackWoods is the mess it makes on the floor when filling the charcoal basket. Typically when I fill the basket I hose out the back of the trailer. It does not take long but it's a pain to do daily.

1535758_337059509768739_565390540_n.jpg

1536662_369267509881272_1247160336_n.jpg

Back