Discussion Thread -> ""WSM/Bullet Smoker vs. Kamado!"!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"WSM/Bullet Smoker vs. Kamado!
"

WSMvsBGE2_zps2698a7d4.jpg

As chosen by Toast for winning the "Beef: It's What's for Dinner" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Toast said:
For the next TD let's answer the question that has been pondered for years by back yard BBQ'ers. Which makes better BBQ, the WSM/Bullet Smoker or the Kamado? Mankind deserves to know!

Rules are simple. Open choice of meat. Smoke your dish showing at least one shot of your smoker. Spirited debate and discussion on which cooker is better is encouraged!
Thanks to you and the Guys for running the TD's,
Mike

Hmmm...this could get interesting! :eyebrows:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/20 through Sunday 6/29.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 6/30

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Will I get a dilly bar for submitting bbq cooked on a green egg? :mrgreen:

Nope, as long as you follow standard throwdown rules. Since there are a number of different kinds of ceramic/kamado style cookers, we decided to use the word Kamado so it would be inclusive of all of them.

Considering the rules stated "meat", I will have to give this some thought. I have never cooked on a wsm mini or otherwise so this should be fun.

Please consider this photo as my throw down entry:

_MG_0830_zpsdb7bfc6a.jpg

Started with a 4.5 lb whole young chicken, rinsed, rubbed with Salt & Pepper, and left to air dry in the beer fridge for about 6 hours:

_MG_0820_zpse3c13a99.jpg

Got the XL Egg rolling at 500 degrees with some hickory chips and put the CI skillet inside to preheat:

_MG_0822_zpsde7afb54.jpg

Cut the skin around the legs and broke the joint, stuffed the cavity with a couple of lemon wedges, splayed out the chook so that the thighs would cook at the same time as the breasts and put it in the skillet:

_MG_0825_zpsa8289c91.jpg

Meanwhile, the LBGE was at 350 degrees, coated some chunked sweet potatoes with Salt, Pepper, and Olive Oil and put them on to roast:

_MG_0824_zps8560cc28.jpg

At the 30 minute point I added some large scallions, garlic, and capers to the skillet:

_MG_0826_zps2cb83089.jpg

Let the chook roast for another 15 minutes, pulled the taters, and replaced them with some asparagus:

_MG_0827_zps93cbb1d6.jpg

After letting the bird rest, this is how things looked:

_MG_0829_zps28e782ce.jpg

The skin was very crispy, meat was incredibly tender and moist, overall an awesome meal.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks, and even though I put the bird in the skillet upside down (D'oh!), it still came out great.

I have a question for the moderators -- post#8. Is bigspur starting off by saying photo #3 is his entry photo enough, or will he get a DQ dilly bar because it isn't stated first that this is an official entry into the TD? I'm clear it would be a DQ without saying the word entry at all, but I'm not 100% clear that pointing out an entry photo is enough. It's a lovely-looking brisket, I'd hate not to have it in the vote.

bigspur, I love the photos of the brisket being seasoned and full WSM cooking, if you end up reposting your entry to add "Official such and such….", would you consider adding a couple of those photos? I think they round out your cook story nicely and a full WSM photo could be a plus in this kind of TD. Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it, it'll feel like home. :laugh:

I have a question for the moderators -- post#8. Is bigspur starting off by saying photo #3 is his entry photo enough, or will he get a DQ dilly bar because it isn't stated first that this is an official entry into the TD? I'm clear it would be a DQ without saying the word entry at all, but I'm not 100% clear that pointing out an entry photo is enough. It's a lovely-looking brisket, I'd hate not to have it in the vote.

bigspur, I love the photos of the brisket being seasoned and full WSM cooking, if you end up reposting your entry to add "Official such and such….", would you consider adding a couple of those photos? I think they round out your cook story nicely and a full WSM photo could be a plus in this kind of TD. Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it, it'll feel like home. :laugh:

Kathy,

Since bigspur stated that his 3rd photo was an entry, it's fairly obvious. However, it would have been nice to see a full cook thread with some details on the actual cook. This does have an impact on votes, as many of us are looking not just at the entry photo, but what went into the actual cook, like prep & seasonings, kind of fuel used etc etc.

This is a perfect example of a Throwdown entry that explicitly follows the rules, and makes it very clear it is an official entry and what the entry photo should be:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2964488&postcount=22

At this point, I would like to remind everyone to PLEASE read the throwdown rules before entering if you have not done so. These two in particular:

3. To enter your dish in a Throwdown it must first follow all rules defined in this post. To make your entry, please create a post in the Throwdown ENTRY thread for the category that you wish to enter. You must clearly state at the BEGINNING of your post that you intend for your post to be an official entry into the Throwdown, and it must be clear enough that the moderator understands your intention. This can be as simple as saying, "Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown". Any post that does not state this intent at the beginning of their post, or does not say so in a clear enough manner for the moderator to understand WILL NOT be included in the Voting for that Throwdown.

9. Only one picture from your entry can be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise the moderator will choose and the moderators decision is final. You are allowed to enter more than once but only one of your entries can be used in the voting thread (for example if you want to enter a second dish that will replace your first one). You must CLEARLY state which entry is the one you want to go to the vote thread. Otherwise the moderator will choose for you and that decision will be final. If the moderator did not choose the photo/entry you explicitly specified, please send the moderator (me) a PM and I will do my best to correct the issue.

Back