Discussion Thread -> "Whole Chicken" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Whole Chicken!
"

thirdeye.jpg

This was thirdeye's winning entry in the 2009 "Chicken Throwdown"!
As chosen by Charred Apron for his creative win in the "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

CharredApron said:
My TD Choice:
Whole Chicken! You must cook a whole chicken. It is acceptable to part it out but the final pic has to include the whole chicken. You can submit thighs, breast, and wings but the whole bird must be submitted in total. There must be at a minimum 2 legs, 2, thighs, 2 wings, & 2 half breasts. You can cook it whole if you like, or cut it up into fryer parts if you like. But the presentation must include the sum of all the cut pieces at least! You can cook ten birds if you are so inclined. My intent is not to have entries of one cut of chicken like KCBS style thighs, I want to see a whole bird represented.
:mrgreen:

Wow. That's a lot of wholes! :blabla:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/6 through Sunday 6/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 6/16

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
I have a nice bird defrosting as we speak for this. Hopefully i remember to enter the throw down.

I have a nice bird defrosting as we speak for this. Hopefully i remember to enter the throw down.
I just spatchcocked a organic one. I tend toward a basic, no nonsense bird, might still post the cook. Where did I leave that blasted camera?

Something about that bird...its making me feel funny.

Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown

I had an all natural chicken that I spatchcocked. I brined it over night, pulled back the skin,

rubbed the meat with a Greek themed mixture that I've enjoyed in the past, and put the skin back

on. I then brushed the skin with sesame seed oil, which gives the skin a great flavor. It was

cooked indirect at 350 degrees until the thigh temp reached 185 degrees.

Please use this picture.
chicken_zpsffb6aae7.jpg

The skin was bite through, and the white meat was as moist as the dark.

My Entry to Whole Chicken TD

Hello Brethren,

I've just attempted another Beer Can Chicken. This is my slideshow.

step #1. I let them rest in fridge for 36 hours.

14381574233_6f5eb2fd98_c.jpg
[/url]

Step #2. I dry brined them for 3 hours in fridge. This was a big mistake because the skin absorbed salt too heavily.

14338219316_974fcdd443_c.jpg
[/url]

Step #3. Brushed away the salt as better as I could, then brushed the skin with lemon juice, then applied some mayo and finally rubbed with Plowboys BBQ Yardbird rub. I didn't use EVO because I used mayo.

14361276115_0ca490f5e5_c.jpg
[/url]

14360343944_657f77fc79_c.jpg
[/url]

14174578748_3b143f3505_c.jpg
[/url]

Step #4. Set up the WSM for grilling action, w/o waterpan looking for 350/370 F. Then I put on the grill the birds.

14381295393_75c8b0e174_c.jpg
[/url]

14381267163_662b5cccdf_c.jpg
[/url]

Step #5. They grilled for 1 hour and 15 min @ 350/370 F till 180 IT. They looked like this.

14174302689_1cf250e697_c.jpg
[/url]

14357481991_7f75ece438_c.jpg
[/url]

14359176952_bbf51b2972_c.jpg
[/url]

Step #6. Finally plated in a specific format: WHOLE CHICKEN ! Please, accept this pic as my official entry to WHOLE CHICKEN TD.

14357284931_be2f7e4901_c.jpg
[/url]

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

No chance in hell on this one with that tied up chicken, but already had the bird, might as well submit it.

Hell day today, and that's difficult when you work from home. Too many fires to put out and the bird got away a little bit.

Please accept this as my official entry:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 693
Thanks. It was tender, juicy, and the skin was alright, except the little extra char. Just had too much RL going on that got in the way.

Back