• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "Time For Veggies to Shine!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Time For Veggies To Shine!"

grilled-veggies.jpg

Mmmm....who doesn't love shiny veggies! :mrgreen:

As chosen by Toast for winning the "WSM/Bullet Smoker vs, Kamado" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Toast said:
Greetings! Since Spring has sprung, how about a "Time For Veggies To Shine" TD?

Any and all veggies on the grill. Meat optional.
Looks like a great opportunity for all of us to finally become vegetarians! :laugh:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/11 through Sunday 7/20.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 7/21.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
That looks real good!
Care to share how you cooked that great plate of food! ?

Good call, Ray.

While it's not required to include a cook thread in your entry or to show the entire cook, it does make a difference! We love to see how you put your meal together, and including the ingredients you used, cook times and techniques go a long way in painting a fuller picture of the work that went into your entry. This can also have an impact on voting as well.

That looks real good!
Care to share how you cooked that great plate of food! ?
The Veggies were grilled whole and then cut before plating, they were seasoned with olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning. The tomatillos were smoked at 275 for about 30 minutes in there husk then pureed with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. The fish was seared in a cast iron skillet and seasoned with lemon pepper.

The Veggies were grilled whole and then cut before plating, they were seasoned with olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning. The tomatillos were smoked at 275 for about 30 minutes in there husk then pureed with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. The fish was seared in a cast iron skillet and seasoned with lemon pepper.

Most Excellent Sir! Thank You for sharing!

I'm not there yet.........it'll have to be a series of giant zucchini cookups in order to get the proper pics............

Zukes7-15-14026.jpg

^^^^ This is not to be yet accepted as my entry into the veg-head throw-up....I mean down......:laugh:

next attempt.....this afternoon............

This is my entry. There may be other entries like it, but this one is mine.

:becky:

I was planning on making this on Sunday so I could also enter it into the sausage TD, but that didn't happen, so here it is for the veggie TD...

Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Sausage on a Pretzel Roll with Grilled Vegetable Salsa.

First I got my mice in place (that's a cheffy term that means getting everything ready :-D)...

14486609240_b29dc14dd8_b.jpg

14486619869_41817d00b6_b.jpg

(yes, I know that lime is a fruit :-D)

I brushed the zucchini, onions and tomatoes with olive oil and seasoned them with some salt and pepper and the veggies and fruit went onto the grill for a bit.

14650279666_36656e94c8_b.jpg

Once the veggies and fruit were done I moved them to a plate...

14486619969_4bf087b5a3_b.jpg

Then I removed the corn husk and gave it a roll on the grill to get some char...

14670084711_938ae7af30_b.jpg

I chopped the veggies and scraped the corn off of the cob and added it to a bowl with some chopped parsley, some pickled jalapeños, salt, pepper and a little sugar.

14673281325_9e3eb77a46_b.jpg

Then I grilled the sausages...

14670084541_5a72d795e1_b.jpg

Finally it was time to eat! I split a couple of pretzel rolls, added a sausage for each and topped the whole thing with the grilled veggie salsa.

14672962852_3210e6bf40_b.jpg

14673281475_9141f9ba3e_b.jpg

Please use the picture above for the vote thread!

Stuffed pork loin, stuffed cabbage, stuffed apples and assorted veges.

Hi Folks

Please use the last photo in this post (the plated supper) as my entry into the throw down.

I made this one on Tuesday. I don't normally do a lot of veges on the grill. However, I had an urge to try something different. While I was sitting by the smoker with a beer and my Ipad, I spotted this throw down.

So here was the menu plan.

Pork Loin Roast stuffed with Gorgonzola and Hot Calabrese Salami.: I carefully carved out a pocket from one end of the roast using a boning knife. After stuffing, I carved a plug out of potato for the hole. The roast was then rubbed with olive oil, coarse salt and cracked black peppercorns.

Stuffed red cabbage: I carved out the top of the cabbage and then, using a boning knife carefully hollowed out a space about 1.5" in diameter and 4" deep in the cabbage. This I filled with a mixture of butter and my BBQ rub. I then replaced the cap off of the cabbage to plug the whole.

Portabello Mushrooms with BBQ Butter: These were simple. Just rinse and add some of the BBQ butter that the cabbage was stuffed with.

Acorn Squash with BBQ Butter: Same as for the portabellos.

Corn and Backed Potato of course!

The piece de resistance: Smoked apples, stuffed with cinnamon sticks and fresh cherries for desert!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 89
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 282
This here is my official entry...

Let's see if I can still do this.

I decided to do a little riff on good old Italian Sausage and Peppers. Instead of making it in a pan, I used skewers and a 18.5 OTG.

First, we have the main players...

I poached the Italian sausage so it would only have to brown on the grill. It's a veggie TD, so the sausage is a supporting actor, anyway.

I first skewered and grilled some sweet cherry tomatoes on the Smokey Joe, to be used later in the cook.

I put my veggies and sausage skewers on the OTG over direct heat to cook...

I used the grilled tomatoes in a sauce, made by sautéing diced garlic and crushed red pepper in a mix of olive oil and butter. The tomatoes, plus fresh basil, fresh oregano (both from my garden), were tossed with the pasta (linguini) to make the bed for my skewers to rest on.

A little Parmigiano Reggiano on top, and a sprig of parsley (also from my garden), and we have supper.

Oh, yeah -- this ^^^^^ is my entry photo, Ronelle.

CD

Grilled Lobster Tails w/ Kettle fried yellow squash, carrots w/ butter and brown sugar, and fresh orzo salad with flame licked veggies.
IMAG0600.jpg

Please Accept this As My First Entry

The Lobster tails
IMAG0591.jpg

I cut open the under side shell of the tail and used some Smoke on wheels BBQ Marinade, It's a buttery marinade.

On the grill. About 3 minutes shell side down, and another 3 underside down.
IMAG0595.jpg

Some fresh local grown yellow squash speared.
IMAG0575.jpg

I covered them in some olive oil and breaded them with [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Andys-Fish-Breading-10-Ounces-Pack/dp/B009XPKZPI/ref=sr_1_7?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1405905918&sr=1-7"]Amazon.com : Andy's Fish Breading Red, 10-Ounces (Pack of 6) : Gourmet Seasoned Coatings : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BoGwwVjqL.@@AMEPARAM@@51%2BoGwwVjqL[/ame]. The mild has a nice spice to it, i'm intrigued by how the hot will taste.
IMAG0582.jpg

All Cooked
IMAG0586.jpg

Some fresh local grown carrots.
IMAG0587.jpg

Some butter and brown sugar, oh yes!
IMAG0589.jpg

Back