Smoked bluefish

Looks YUMMEE! Never had bluefish.Is it light and flaky like crappie or oily like salmon or trout?

I've never eaten bluefish either, let alone smoked. Looks tasty!:icon_smile_tongue:

Bluefish anything makes me gag! Not meant to be eaten! :tsk:

The smaller ones are good, yes, an oily fish, lot of brown meat on the midline. folks usually love it or hate it. it's very good smoked

Makes a great pate too - if you're among us bluefish lovers! One of my favorites to smoke, along with mackerel.

It turned out really good, they were smaller fillets, all of those combined were only 2 lbs at the market so that tells the size of them.

I've never tasted bluefish but it looks delicious!

Love some smoked bluefish made into dip. Not the type of fish for those that don't like a strong taste. Also a blast to catch, they are some real toothy chompers.

Thanks, Boltaction. I have some recently caught Martha's Vineyard bluefish. I'm gonna do what you did.

I've had wonfish, tewfish, redfish, but never bluefish. Doctor's orders.

Last edited:
Oily fish take well to smoking. Bonita (aka little tunny), kingfish, yellowfin or bluefin tuna belly, salmon. Kingfish dip is a staple in FL. Excellent mixed with jalapeno’s eaten on saltines!

Last edited:
I love to fish for them here. Fast and furious action, and lots of fun. :-D

As for eating Jersey bluefish, I'll pass. They're an oily mercury souffle, and toxic heavy metals aren't my idea of a good meal. :cry:

I love to fish for them here. Fast and furious action, and lots of fun. :-D

As for eating Jersey bluefish, I'll pass. They're an oily mercury souffle, and toxic heavy metals aren't my idea of a good meal. :cry:

Keep the small ones for smoking, and grilling, much less pcb's. ;)

Back