What do you use to probe your brisket for tenderness?

What do you use to probe brisket for tenderness?

• Thermapen

Votes: 62 53.4%
  • Other temp probe (Not thermapen)

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Wooden skewer

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Metal skewer

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Toothpick

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Probe with fingers or pickup brisket and feel by hand

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Chopstick

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I use the first American Pie movie as an instruction video

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Kitchen fork

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knife honing/sharpening steel

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Thermapen since it is always on hand. I don’t think it matters what you use as long as you are consistent and learn the feel of a properly cooked brisket (or butt or ribs) using the probe of your choosing.

I've used a Thermapen for years, and sometimes a wooden skewer also. I recently bought an icepick to dull to use, but haven't done a brisket with it yet.

I use a dulled flat kabob skewer. Cut in half and bent a loop handle on one end. It's sort of a uni-tasker - only thing I use it for is brisket. All the other meats have different ways of determining doneness.

Thermapen since it is always on hand. I don’t think it matters what you use as long as you are consistent and learn the feel of a properly cooked brisket (or butt or ribs) using the probe of your choosing.

^^^this^^^

Very good advice

Before my Thermo pen I used toothpicks, as stated by Ron L the thermo pen is always there

Brisket is a thermapen or sometimes a skewer. Ribs is always a toothpick.

Brisket is a thermapen or sometimes a skewer. Ribs is always a toothpick.
I agree. Brisket thermopen and ribs toothpick. Just what i have the feel for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

First jiggle it a little and see if it wiggles. Then the thermos pen. If unsure get the ice pick and deep probe. Most probe at different temps, so temp is second guess.

Toothpick, automatically, when I wish to test.

The "feel" is the same, whether it's beef of pork. Most people have a jar of peanut butter to stick a toothpick into, so it's easy to tell people what it really feels like when meat is done for a long cook.

I use a temp probe for brisket and the bend test for ribs.
Sorry for the knife sharpening steel vote, my big fingers got in the way when I selected the vote button. :doh: :doh:

I always have my Thermo pen handy so that is usually what I use.

I've got an old digital Eventual Read thermometer with a fairly blunt tip that works great. That and the jiggle test haven't let me down yet.

I'm thinking it'd have to cool down a bit to use the American Pie technique! Yikes!

Back