Brisket Question

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am not the "heavy smoker" that some of you guys are, but I have probably cooked ten or so briskets on pellet smokers at home or at our lake place. Cooking temps in the low 200s, sometimes starting lower to increase smoke. Always resting for a couple of hours in a cooler.

The one I did yesterday (at 240 on my new Heatermeter) is fairly typical: The point end and that half or more of the brisket probed like butter and the slices (point and flat) easily pull apart, maybe even too easily. But as I get out further on the flat, the probe feels more resistance. The slices will still pull apart, but with more effort.

I have stopped my cooks at internal temperatures in the 190s. Yesterday was more like 205, maybe the reason the point end ended up so tender. Flat always seems to be about the same: very edible but not easy pull-apart.

So, gents, is this just the way of the brisket? The less fattier meat will not cook to pull-part/fall-apart doneness like the fattier end?

You need to probe for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat and completely disregard the point because it's much more forgiving. It sounds like your briskets have been undercooked.

You need to probe for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat and completely disregard the point because it's much more forgiving. It sounds like your briskets have been undercooked.
OK & I know that probing is the way to check doneness, but at some point there must be a temperature limit too. No? Above 205? How hot to go before saying "enough?"

doesn't the direction of the grain of the meat change at a certain point and you have to adjust your angle of cuts ?

OK & I know that probing is the way to check doneness, but at some point there must be a temperature limit too. No? Above 205? How hot to go before saying "enough?"

The higher the pit temp the higher the internal temp will finish at, I've heard over 215-18* in some instance.

Were you saying that the brisket is cooking unevenly? If so, I'd consider the possibility of cool-spots in the cooker.

Were you saying that the brisket is cooking unevenly? If so, I'd consider the possibility of cool-spots in the cooker.
No, not the cooker I think. This is a pretty consistent situation with two different cookers, a Traeger and a Camp Chef.

One consistent thing is I have been afraid of overcooking and drying the flat out. Maybe I'll just buy and gamble with a small brisket -- as @razorbrewer suggests just cook it until the flat probes tender with total disregard for the temp. Living dangerously IOW. I guess I can always make chili if the point completely crumbles. Or maybe spaghetti Bolognese.

No, not the cooker I think. This is a pretty consistent situation with two different cookers, a Traeger and a Camp Chef.

One consistent thing is I have been afraid of overcooking and drying the flat out. Maybe I'll just buy and gamble with a small brisket -- as @razorbrewer suggests just cook it until the flat probes tender with total disregard for the temp. Living dangerously IOW. I guess I can always make chili if the point completely crumbles. Or maybe spaghetti Bolognese.
Brisket chili is delicious so you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'd be doing probe tender in the flat but I generally shoot for low 200s as a good rule of thumb for what it's worth. Do you wrap?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

doesn't the direction of the grain of the meat change at a certain point and you have to adjust your angle of cuts ?
This 100%

When we're cutting brisket the new guys won't go with the angle and we end up getting rubber off of a perfectly good brisket.

YMMV but our go to was 213 for 13 hours. This was on a gas smoker so pretty consistent temps all night. No wrap, just rubbed them down and let them go. The fattier meat would hold decently but once you cut the cap off and chopped it was super tender.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

With questions like this it is always good to go back to basics with this Brisket Tutorial from 2009 by Bigabyte. Pay particular note on comments regarding temp and probing. This removes any doubt in where you should be heading and removes any second guessing.

It's good to pull this old nugget out from time to time!

Cheers!

Back