• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Noob from the upstate SC

rumproastiltskin

Reaction score
Greasings and salivations, brothers. I'm a newbie living in upstate SC.

A reformed vegetarian (from birth) originally from Riverside, CA (I lived right up the hill from norcoredneck), I discovered I love smoked meat. Actually, I love really fatty, greasy meat of any kind - except fish (fish are friends, not food, according to my 2y/o daughter). I also found that while as a vegetarian I loved ketchup and barbeque sauce, as a voracious carnivore I don't care much for sauces. Just dry rub it, hand me all the fatty pieces, leave me with my salt and pepper and keep your distance ;-)

As of this post, I'm on page 118 of the massive, and unprecedented, Ugly Drum Smoker thread. I joined because of this epic thread.

Raised a vegetarian and having never smoked anything, and owning nothing more than a knock-off Smokey Joe, I began researching how to build a smoker and how to smoke meat. I now own two 55gal drums and some fittings and will begin drum layout later this week.

Joining this forum is exciting. I look forward to meeting some of you and learning from many of you.

Thanks for stopping by!

Welcome to the fray.. I travel to simpsonville quite often, as I am currently sharing joint custody of my Weber 18.5" kettle with my in law. The little guy is spending the summer up there. :p Lived there for 5 years, nice area.

Thanks for the welcome, brothers. I hope to meet some of you locals from the Carolinas and Georgia.

Smokin'Butts - I saved your site to my favorites. I hope to catch up with you sometime and try some of your q :)

Ramman999 pm me sometime you're coming to the area - we can roll a fatty and drool over some smokin butts ;-)

bbq_mafia - so can I assume you've got the most “organized" barbecue in town? Your cue is so good it's a RICO violation. Thanks for the welcome!

Sammy_Shuford - thanks for welcome. The decision to build came after many months lurking craigslist in and around my area - pits are either too much for my budget or disappear almost immediately. And CL is fairly picked over in terms of parts - so far. I have a ittt set up on some keywords but nothing yet. I'm not in a hurry - I don't even know how to bbq yet :-D

Hope to meet at a comp or something :)

Blythewood BBQ'er - yep. Have two drums at present though neither is complete. I figure one extra to either practice or cannibalize for an extension. And I'm on the lookout for more :-D

My wife smiles and rolls her eyes every time she walks past them B-)

Welcome. My in-laws live in Simpsonville as well. If you're still looking for drums they found a decent connection. I just started building my own... Did the burnout today. Good luck with the UDS!!!

Back