dad's 7 minute steak

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
the recent throwdown theme is recreating a childhood memory. when I think back on my youth and live fire cooking the first thing that comes to mine is steak on a charcoal grill.

my old man taught me a lot and on of those things was how to cook a steak. dad was a man's man. steaks meant either ribeye or porterhouse. I'll always remember his coffee can with both ends removed and holes poked in the bottom, the first semblance of a chimney starter I've seen.

these were simple times and pop was a simple man. Friday night after work he would stop at the meat counter of the local spartan grocery store and buy us some steaks. sides always came from the deli. he always picked up some city chicken as an app. (city chicken weirdly enough is pork)

prKVFjgl.jpg

sticking with the dad theme I decided to season my del l monico with some cavanders and lemon pepper. didn't have no fancy mail order rubs.

JoXl3Oml.jpg

so with all this build up I bet your wondering what is dad's 7 minute steak method anyway? well it's to simple. you dump that coffee can of lit charcoal out and cook three and a half minutes on one side, flip and cook another 3.5 minutes to finish it off. I have modified it and added a quarter spin at 1:45 and 4:15

TrbHKobl.jpg

dad's technique for testing doneness was with a press of the finger. no rebound is not yet. slight spring back is money, total rebound means you should try a six minute steak

IP2PRGwl.jpg

as a bachelor dad cut some corners. one was letting the dog clean the plates. while I never let bruno eat table scraps I couldn't resist given the situation

wb6POTgl.jpg

Thanks for sharing the memory and the cook! The steak looks great, and Bruno looks pretty darned pleased.

Love the memories.

"dad was a man's man. steaks meant either ribeye or porterhouse."

Love it.

That's a great looking steak, and CINCHOUSE has signed-off on me trying to follow suit.

Why have I never used Cavender's on a steak before!? I've been too busy being blown away with it on a baked potato to notice!

Steve, Ill bet, as you were cooking that fine looking steak, thoughts of your Dad were going through your mind, all those memories wrapped up in a great steak!

Great looking steak and even better memories. Love your dad being a man's man and a simple man, there aren't many of those left anymore. I love the steak cooking method too. Will definitely have to try this in the future, because I always overcook mine.

Great post, great steak, great dog and best story. Takes me back to being a youngster as well. I will never forget how proud Dad was to get his new Weber natural gas kettle.

Great looking steak and even better memories. Love your dad being a man's man and a simple man, there aren't many of those left anymore. I love the steak cooking method too. Will definitely have to try this in the future, because I always overcook mine.

Dad was amazing. Had a style all his own. He built bikes, restored classic cars and was a carpenter. When it came to fixing stuff or solving problems he was the man. Pop was tough as nails. 6'4" and chiseled from stone the man never backed down from anything. All this and nobody ever knew he was disabled, stricken with polio as boy his left leg was atrophied. In the end I believe post polio syndrome contributed to an early passing. The last three years has felt like an eternity without him.

Back